Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the GM chrome over stainless step bars for quality? Any idea who the vendor is? I know the "GM" boards on my '02 are Interglass brand with GM embossed. Is the step full length instead of "at each door" like the Westin? Is the bar truly depressed for the tread surface or cut out? About four bucks my cost installed at new delivery...are they worth that kind of money? Thanks

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
4 bills is about right for s/s with chrome, I payed all of that for my Westin Platinum series. Most of the GM bars I have seen have one big 'step tread' not individual for each door.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I have a used set of ICI stainless bars that have indivudual steps at each door.

They are for sale if anyone is interested. PM me if you wish to see a photo.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Rippem...

First off, welcome to the jungle!!!

I've got a set of the GM bars just sitting in my garage (for an extended cab), take offs from my '03 when I sold it. The are good quality from what I can tell, but I couldn't tell you who built them. Yes..it's just one big step on them (one thing I liked about them). Looks like the bar was depressed and the rubber laid over it.

Tom

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone got a new, or as new set of the GM chrome over stainless for a C/C laying around, or never installed....for sale?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have them on my truck and like them more than the Westins on my last truck. I was very happy with the Westins but like these a bit better. Especially like the single tread instead of two seperate ones. Sorry, not for sale.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maynard...your feeling very s l e e p y
...you must go pull those bars off your truck and sell them to me for $50...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I hope my wife doesn't learn that trick or Ill never see my wallet again!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just keep that wallet in the truck. We all know it's a rare woman who would drive anything with that long a wheelbase unless she had to.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Rippem- Are you kidding? My wife LOVES this truck! I've only had it a month and she's already looking for one for her! I told her she either needs a raise or a differant job. She drives mine whenever I let her.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well - I have a set for an extended cab for sale - I bought them thinking they were for the CC, but they are for the EC...

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maynard, she's obviously a keeper then!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don’t know about the gm tubes but I just installed a set of full length westin platinum’s on my crew cab short bed and I don’t care for them that much. They look nice, but they seem to close the cab in the front. There just ok for getting in and not useable at all for stepping out of the truck.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I agree on the Westins; the front depressed area seems to be way to far front and I find I am stepping on the last 3 inches of the rubber area to get in and on the chrome area getting out; look good but are not totally functional. My wife loves this truck and drives it often even pulling the camper and race trailer and she is definitely a keeper (a woman who loves race cars, a husbands dream)!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I have the GM ones on my reg cab and they are great thus far

·
Registered
227 Posts
As many have said, the GM ones have a single step and that is part of what drew me to them, although I too don't know who makes them. They might be a bit more than the Westin's, but they are very functional. I checked out a crew with the Westin's on it at the soccer field, and that is what I felt too, was that you only used the very ending edge of the rubber pad to step on - just too short. Best bet for the GM steps is if you can get a good deal on the truck such as invoice price or very near invoice price, and are ordering the truck, then get them that way. I purchased mine over the parts counter and they are a little more pricey that way, although because my dad is a dealership retiree, they tend to give me a break on almost anything.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I really like the GM steps I have on my crew cab. The full length step area is also why I chose them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scored a brand new pair of the GM chrome over stainlees on e-bay. $226 shipped to my door Fed Ex. Thanks for the replies. RPM

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't know who makes them, but I like the one-step bars that I ordered and came with my GMC Crew.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Does anyone have the GM part number for the steps? I'm looking for a set for a CC; however, I'm sure others would appreciate the part numbers for an EC and Reg cab too..

Later...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts