Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke to a customer service rep. About my truck W/120000mi. The dealer told me I have a cracked piston ring. GM says it can do nothing to assist me me in repairing this problem, because of high milage. I been told it will cost around 4 grand to fix. The truck is blowing white/blue smoke. Anyone know of any other options. I don't have the money right now to fix. I used to like this truck alot, but now I am wondering what I got my self in to. The truck has become one big pile of chit, that I'm still paying for. This SUCKS!

·
Registered
16,234 Posts
It is a shame that the piston ring is bad, but I am wondering how can they or anyone for that matter without tearing the engine down...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stealer said they pulled the glow plug and found oil residue in the cylinder? Does this sound right? I don't even know if this is possible.

·
Registered
16,234 Posts
I think i would get a second opinion...I have a 04 LB7 and have over 200k miles, no problems except injectors at 157k...and I am still paying on it....2 more years to go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that is my next option. Just don't trust what they say. When they first called back, they said they didn't find anything wrong with it. I told them to look again and this is what they came up with. I just hope someone comes up with a better fix. This one is going to break the bank.

·
Registered
16,234 Posts
I would think that some codes were set, and they should have checked for some, did the CEL come on any or can you go into some detail when/how this problem occured....what made you take the truck in besides smoking...

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
A broken oil ring will not set a code,computers are nice but,I guess thats why the dealer pulled the glow plug.Probably should pull all the glow plugs and do a compression check.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There were no codes. I just noticed it smoking real bad at stops. I just opened the hood for the first time since I got it back for the stealer and found the airbox cover open. That cant be good. They forgot to close it I guess. I'm going to call and chew some butt. Also can't see anywhere where they even touched the motor. Looks like to get to the number 5 glow plug you would have had to take some stuff off. Motor is still dusty with no sign of finger prints or anything. Also checked the oil, its still full and I can't really smell any fuel in it or tell if it is contaminated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is involved in checking the number 5 plug? And how would they know it was the number 5. Wouldn't you have to start checking them all to find the bad one. I guess they just got lucky.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I bet they know you have "modified" your truck. Same thing here. Dealer saw the air filter, and Quadzilla sticker on the shroud, closed the hood and said "nutin wrong".

Go to another dealer, perhaps more than two if you can.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I'm no engine builder, but from my limited experience as a mechanic, I have a hard time believing that you could diagnose a cracked ring based soley on some oil on a glowplug. I guess it's possible, but aren't there other issues that could cause that symptom?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm having a hard time believing it too. Talk to the service advisor about the air box beingt left open and all he could say is sorry.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I would if it was my truck forget the dealer and take it to a reputable diesel shop since it is out of warrenty. In my experience with the dealer the tech know less about the Dmax than what I do. If I was picking up the bill Gm would be the last co. I would pay. Lust my .02

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm beging to think tour right about that. I think I'm going to start looking for a good shop around the Houston area. If anyone know of one let me know.

·
Registered
16,234 Posts
does it smoke while at cruising speed or just idle, the dealer should have checked the balance rates with the tech 2, this would have told them if there was something going on inside the engine....

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
A broken piston ring would probably give your engine a miss. Compression test is needed for diagnostic strategy. Try dumping a heavy dose of injector cleaner in and drive the truck around. I have seen a few trucks that have injectors stick and cause smoke, but adding additive in a heavy dose has repaired some of them.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Even if they did a compression test on #5, that doesn't tell them that it is a piston ring. It could be an injector sleeve leaking. Is it blowing blue smoke or white smoke. I would have them check the injectors. Get a tech 2 on it and check the balance rates and do high side diag. If a injector is leaking it will smoke...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Which dealership was it?

·
Registered
504 Posts
They sound like some idiots. I would check injectors...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
easy test, what do you see when you remove oil fill cap. frm what i've seen most turbo/supercharged engines blow pass broken ring, into crankcase. leaking/dribbling injector will dissolve carbon on piston top and look like oil. they should have scanned with tech2, injectors as per special policy(since common problem), compression test and/or crankcase pressure/leakdown tests. minimum pass, if they have bore/opticscope.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts