Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Document ID: 2198756
#03-06-93-001D: Diagnostic Information on Turbocharger Malfunction Due to Lack of Engine Oil for LBZ, LB7, LLY and LMM Duramax Diesel Engine - (Oct 9, 2008)

Subject:Diagnostic Information on Turbocharger Malfunction Due to Lack of Engine Oil for LBZ, LB7, LLY or LMM Duramax™ Diesel Engine

Models:2001-2009 Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500-C5500 Series
2006-2009 Chevrolet Express
2001-2009 GMC Sierra
2003-2009 GMC TopKick C4500-C5500 Series
2006-2009 GMC Savana
with 6.6L Duramax™ V8 Diesel Engine (VINs D, 1, 2, 6 -- RPOs LBZ, LB7, LLY, LMM)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-93-001C (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
Notice: Before installing a new turbocharger, clean any debris or excessive oil from the charge air cooler and intake system in order to prevent damage to the new turbocharger or an engine overspeed condition.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2198756&bulletinNbr=03-06-93-001D&from=ns&name=Diagnostic+Information+on+Turbocharger+Malfunction+Due+to+Lack+of+Engine+Oil+for+LBZ%2C+LB7%2C+LLY+and+LMM+Duramax+Diesel+Engine&releaseDate=2008-10-09#ss1-2198756">Spun Camshaft Bearing

If a turbocharger performance concern is thought to be caused from a deficiency of engine oil, the camshaft bearing should be checked. The number 4 camshaft bearing bore feeds the turbocharger engine oil supply hose. If this camshaft bearing spins in the bore, the turbocharger will be deprived of engine oil. This will cause a performance concern with the turbocharger. Incorrect diagnosis of this condition will result in a repeat performance concern with the turbocharger.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2198756&bulletinNbr=03-06-93-001D&from=ns&name=Diagnostic+Information+on+Turbocharger+Malfunction+Due+to+Lack+of+Engine+Oil+for+LBZ%2C+LB7%2C+LLY+and+LMM+Duramax+Diesel+Engine&releaseDate=2008-10-09#ss2-2198756">Camshaft Bearing Inspection

If the turbocharger has to be replaced, perform the following procedure in order to verify the condition of the number 4 camshaft bearing before installing a new turbocharger.
  1. <LI type=1>Remove the turbocharger. Refer to Service Information (SI) procedures for Turbocharger Replacement. <LI type=1>Remove the turbocharger oil supply hose.

<LI type=1>Visually inspect for correct alignment of the number 4 camshaft bearing oil hole (Refer to illustration callout 4) through the turbocharger oil supply hole in the block (Refer to illustration callout 1). The camshaft journal oil groove (Refer to illustration callout 3) should be visible through the camshaft bearing oil hole (Refer to illustration callout 4). <LI type=1>Turn the engine over by hand a 1/2 turn. The camshaft journal oil groove (Refer to illustration callout 3) should still be visible through the camshaft bearing oil hole (Refer to illustration callout 4) as the engine is turned.
  2. If the camshaft bearing (Refer to illustration callout 2) has spun, the camshaft bearing oil hole (Refer to illustration callout 4) will either not be visible at all or it will be misaligned with the turbocharger oil supply hole during the inspection procedure. In the event of a spun camshaft bearing, the engine must be replaced.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2198756&bulletinNbr=03-06-93-001D&from=ns&name=Diagnostic+Information+on+Turbocharger+Malfunction+Due+to+Lack+of+Engine+Oil+for+LBZ%2C+LB7%2C+LLY+and+LMM+Duramax+Diesel+Engine&releaseDate=2008-10-09#ss3-2198756">Restricted Turbocharger Oil Supply Hose

If a lack of oil is suspected, the turbocharger oil supply hose should also be checked for damage. The turbocharger oil feed line is a high pressure plastic tube that is protected by a stainless steel braided covering. If it is twisted at all or bent too far during turbocharger removal, the plastic line may fold and kink. The kink may cause an oil flow restriction. If the plastic pipe does kink, it will not return back to its normal size and shape. The damage may not be obvious upon inspection because the braided steel covering will hide the deformity.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2198756&bulletinNbr=03-06-93-001D&from=ns&name=Diagnostic+Information+on+Turbocharger+Malfunction+Due+to+Lack+of+Engine+Oil+for+LBZ%2C+LB7%2C+LLY+and+LMM+Duramax+Diesel+Engine&releaseDate=2008-10-09#ss4-2198756">LB7 Turbocharger Replacement

During turbocharger removal on the 6.6L LB7 engine, the turbocharger oil feed line can be pulled directly away from the turbocharger body in a perpendicular fashion. Care must be taken to avoid excessive bending of the line.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2198756&bulletinNbr=03-06-93-001D&from=ns&name=Diagnostic+Information+on+Turbocharger+Malfunction+Due+to+Lack+of+Engine+Oil+for+LBZ%2C+LB7%2C+LLY+and+LMM+Duramax+Diesel+Engine&releaseDate=2008-10-09#ss5-2198756">LBZ, LLY or LMM Turbocharger Replacement

During repairs on the 6.6L LBZ, LLY or LMM engine, the EGR cooler does not allow enough perpendicular movement of the line to clear the turbocharger for removal. However, the line can be pushed straight forward of the turbocharger with less risk of kinking the line. Assistance may be required to keep the lines clear of the turbocharger during removal or installation.
Notice: Do not twist the turbocharger oil supply line. Twisting of the line will result in the collapse and deformation of the plastic line, restricting oil flow and causing turbocharger performance concerns.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
153 Posts
does this mean i have to bring it to the dealer LOL

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Sometimes information creates issues, if one was to read all the bulletins and internal information that gm has, one would go mental.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Speaking of bulletins or recalls has anybody heard anymore about the heated windshield fluid wiper recall? has anybody got a letter from gm or had there dealer fix it yet?

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Sometimes information creates issues, if one was to read all the bulletins and internal information that gm has, one would go mental.
How correct you are. I stopped reading the bulletins because I go around saying "there it is, I KNEW I had that - my wheel and connuter valve are going bad like the TSB said." when in essense i drove over a pothole to fast and the connuter valve is for another model vehicle... :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
The parts to fix it are back ordered so they are disabling the whole system at this time I just had it done to my truck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I Got the letter about the windshield washer recall. i happen to be at the stealer a couple days later. here in So cal they are pulling the fuse's for the system till they get the parts in stock to do the recall. my buddy there told me not to expect to have it done before next year. the cold states are getting the parts first... so they said

·
Registered
712 Posts
Whats the problem with the wipers?

Sometimes mine turn on and spray water all over by themselves (always after I have the truck detailed)...is that it?
Thanks for the info guys, and for the problem with the wipers I believe they could short out and cause a fire if you have the heated windshield wiper/spray option...Josh

·
Registered
207 Posts
I did get a letter from GM and took the truck in for the recall. All they do is pull a fuse and disable the heater. Dealer said repair parts are not available yet and don't throw away the fuse that is in my glove box :eek:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for getting the wheels spinnin on the Service Bulletin.. Just thought some people might be interested in reading it. I agree about the Bulletins too...we get them all the time. Sometimes they apply...but not always. Hopefully people just take it as an FYI and not an emergency. Having the inside info helps! :secret:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry for getting the wheels spinnin on the Service Bulletin.. Just thought some people might be interested in reading it. I agree about the Bulletins too...we get them all the time. Sometimes they apply...but not always. Hopefully people just take it as an FYI and not an emergency. Having the inside info helps! :secret:
Having that kind of info does help IMHO, especially if you have a not so helpful Service Manager. I for one thank you for posting it and would appreciate it if you continue.:)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Whats the problem with the wipers?

Sometimes mine turn on and spray water all over by themselves (always after I have the truck detailed)...is that it?
Please read your owners manual:rolleyes:
As for the wiper recall I have installed the new harness on about 10 trucks already. We have them in stock but as said before it gets cold here a little faster than most places.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Does it ever get cold in SoCal?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.