Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

We had 2 trucks in the shop for 1 dum bug..Very easy to fix
in my book Guys.. Both trucks at times when you go to start the starter Grinds on fly wheel.. This is a no brainer..Shop had my trucks for 8 hours today.. Get a call sorry Steve we can't change out the Starters we cant get it to do what you said.. I'm so pissed now i dont know what to do..Got a call from my guy that users that truck and he told me
Steve Its doing it again at times..

Called Service and the Dum manager told me Quote unless we can do it here there is nothing to do...

I'm going to kill the fly wheels if this keeps up

If i call GM will they help.. Anyone have the number handy.. YOU would think i have 200 rigs from this dealer
and 200 more on order he would help.. I'm sick of this
Game.. Guys i had a ford dealer that bent over all the time

From steve
Fleet/owner

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sounds like you need to talk to talk to someone else at this dealer. Right up to the level of the owner if need be.

OR you need to find another dealer that wants to sell you 200 trucks more than this guy!!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Two hundred rigs !!!!!

I'd throw two starters at the problem .... More then likely it's the drive in the starter .... The flywheel (ring gear ) is prolly A OK ....

Talk to the Truck Manager that orders your trucks .... He should climb the ladder for you ...

Mac

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The problem you describe sounds familiar. At our dealership we had a customer complaint of intermittant grinding like you describe. We could never duplicate it but he talked our service manager and we ended up pulling the flywheel.We then found the ring gear for the starter was installed onto the flywheel backwards. There is a chamfer on one side of the teeth and it was facing the wrong way. But... This was an early 2001 and we never saw another like it, so i don't know how common it is. Hope maybe this helps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello Max and all

I hope by now gm got there act together.. The 2 trucks where talking about is a late 2003.. Spoke to the GM of sales late last night and he is going to speak to the head of service.. Will keep you posted.. I told him please zap
my 200 unit order and will be calling GM home office.. He
ask me just hold off about calling GM.. Then i ask him how
in the world can you run a service center with 1 diesel tech.. When they do all the service for lots of city's here
on the Dmax's ..

From steve
Edited by: smartfix

·
Registered
365 Posts
Smartfix,

It was my experience, repeated all over the country, that GM dealers just DO NOT know how to diagnose and fix the Duramax.

At the end I got rid of the truck because the last dealer just did not know what was wrong with it, took $1,000 from me to try, botched the job and then said they wanted about $7,000 more to try again.

To me it is outrageous how GM dealerships so often can't deal with their product or the product is just too complicated to deal with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts