Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. is recalling 805,368 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks for weak tailgate support cables, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on Friday.
GM is recalling the 1999-2000 models of both brands, in which the cables used to support the tailgate can corrode and fracture with loads, the federal organization said on its Web site.

:grd:

·
Banned
735 Posts
Didn't this happen like 2 yrs. ago ?????????? I think thats some old info ya got there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
735 Posts
Hmmmm.... I got this recall done almost 2 years ago!!!!!!! Whats up with that??????

Edit: The only thing I see different now is that 1999 MY is included.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Maybe they didn't recall the 1999-2000s back in the last recall?

·
Banned
735 Posts
Maybe they didn't recall the 1999-2000s back in the last recall?
I think you're right. My 99 tailgate support broke and wasn't covered and I was wondering why they were not. Wow GM just woke up??? They're the same damn cable supports as 01-03 and they were recalled.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yea a recall came out a few years ago on my 2003 gasser and they replaced them with a stainless steel cable.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Yeah, it was for the '01-'03's. This is a new.

The tech showed me, on my '01, why they recalled them. Very interesting. From the factory they sealed the ends of the fittings. Water that was trapped inside, would have no where to go. So the fix was to replace the cable with an identical piece that did not have a dab of glue in the end.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
They recalled my 2000 Silverado a long time ago...

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Max Power is correct it's the earlier years,seen it on the news.Pre 2001 which was done earlier as noted.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
G.M. needs to get a hold of some VR straps:ro) only real way to fix the problem.:exactly: I love mine, and MADE IN AMERICA.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
My 02 Chevy HD gasser had a recall on the tailgate cables

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the straps on my 01 8.1 gasser break as I was running a bike up the ramps. I went down with the bike on top of me. Luckily I was just black and blue and the bodywork was off the bike. I replaced the straps with some from a local jobber and then 3 months later the recall came out. I had saved the straps for a while wanting to take them back to the delaer to show the poor quality, but threw them out just before I got the recall. I had a dealer replace the straps under the recall. The new straps were supposed to be stainless so that they wouldn't corode or so I was told. Both sets of new straps were not equal length, meaning that when the tailgate was down one strap would be tight with the other slighlty loose. I don't know if this was by design intent or not, but it bothered me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yep, they sucked. Mine broke on my 2000 as I rode my 4 wheeler up the ramps... no harm, just lost a good pair of underwear.

:)

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
You know, I still don't understand why they changed the design from the old steel bar hinge. If something works for so long, why change it. Especially something that has nothing to do with comestic's, strength, or reliability.

If it works, don't break it.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Both sets of new straps were not equal length, meaning that when the tailgate was down one strap would be tight with the other slighlty loose. I don't know if this was by design intent or not, but it bothered me.
Yeah, I had that problem but the $tealership told me GM tailgates tend to warp and so mine was tweaked. They also said this warping is caused by driving things up on the tailgate, that you're supposed to remove the tailgate before loading.

yeah right

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I loaded and unloaded my quads in my 98 about 200 times and I even go laid on my tailgate with no brakeage. But I sure miss them old school metal straps from the 70's and 80's trucks. The cables on my 86 Blazer broke like a champ with me on the tailgate. Yep I landed on my face right in front of my girlfriend. She took care of me, I milked that pain out for a week and a half.Censored

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
You know, I still don't understand why they changed the design from the old steel bar hinge. If something works for so long, why change it. Especially something that has nothing to do with comestic's, strength, or reliability.

If it works, don't break it.
I'll tell you why it's called economics, GM was trying to save a few bucks with a cheapo design:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I'll tell you why it's called economics, GM was trying to save a few bucks with a cheapo design:rolleyes:
Yeah, but I can't see where they saved any money. I mean those stamped pieces of metal, could not have costed anymore thanthe cables.

Beyond that, how many of our cables protrude out of the gap between the bed and the tailgate?

Talk about cosmetics...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts