Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another of my postings member 16gaSxS brought up and interesting point.

Someone has convinced GM to have recalls on such things as intermittent windshield wiper and window controll switches on our trucks. While failure of these parts may in fact cause problems neither of them post a problem anywhere near as hazzardous as having your truck die at road speed and in traffic from a faulty FSD. This type of failure causes loss of steering, lose of brakeing and just plan old KYA Goodbye.

Is it about time that someone started to bring this problem to the attention of the National Transportation Board or our old friend Ralph N. From the number of posts I have seen this is not a small issue.

If anyone knows how to get this ball rolling please respond.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
You are aware of the 11 year, 120,000 mile pump warranty?
I suppose if there were a significant number of injuries related to injection pump/PSD failure than yes, something should be done.

I had one fail in my 97 HD at 50,000 miles. It started out as intermittant stalls... and yes, it is dangerous. They replaced it and it was fine up to 80,000 when I sold it.

I'm sure the bean counters weigh injury cost -vs- fix cost.

Injury loses..... fix cost substantially higher.

One giant lawsuit could change the numbers drastically though.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
45 Posts
Take a look on the Cars.com website (yes, the one with the Car-Talk guys from NPR). Under "Info" there is a link to the NHTSA for this kind of report. For some reason the link isn't working right now, but there is a form you can fill out.

http://cartalk.cars.com/info/

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hoot

What are you saying? We should leave word with our Lawyers that if we go in a crash in our trurk that they should go back into our postings a sew against that.

I don't think there were a high number of deaths related to faulty electric window switches but somehow that rose to the top of the pile for consideration. Maybe one of the bean counters had a bad switch.

Roo-bee

Interesting find. Thats what may be needed to get this off the ground.

Edited by: HowieE

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I think the switch recalls were to preclude chance of electrical fire NHTSA really keys on word fire and potential of a fire, now if we could somehow prove a bad PMD could be the cause of a fire then we would see some Federal mandated intervention to fix them, or could show where a accident was caused by pump failure. Hard one to prove plus GM pays big money to have lawyers on staff to fight the little guys, would be an uphill battle I'm afraid, unless we could find some lawyer wanting to make a name for himself like the tobacco lawyers did. But since this is a problem on a product no longer in production probably not enough after the fact money in it for a lawyer to take it on.

It Sux but probably got all we are going to get in the 11yr, 120K extended policy.Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Wiper switch recall is inplace because some failures do not allow wiper control or even any wiper movement, thus in a heavy rainstorm the driver's vision is drastically reduced, causeing a major traffic hazard and possible crash situation.

The door switch as stated above was probably fire related.

Howie, if you will take a second to look there is already a recall in place ans has been for quite some time on the Injection pump and the FSD/PMD

If I remember right it is special policy #64 or maybe 62 I don't remember, but what HOOT was asking is if you where aware of this, the pump and its components (PMD/FSD) is covered under a special warranty to 120K miles or 11years, I think that should be sufficient to correct most people's problems.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The 120,000 mile replacement DOES NOT SOLVE the CRAPPY DESIGN. I started the ball rolling by calling DOT Saftey HOT LINE and filled a complaint. IF everyone who had had a PMD failure did so a full blown saftey recall can happen. First they get our complaints then the DOT investigates if there is sificant numbers of vehicals with this problem (like every one with an electronic IP)then GM can be forced to come up with a real FIX not just pump or PMD replacement. Call the DOT hot line at 1-888-327-4236.

Let's not let GM get away with this design flaw that truely is a REAL saftey issue. Think about the next time you are pulling a heavy load up a steep grade with no shoulders and your engine dies, no power steering, no brakes, I'm buying a plastic Jesus maybe he can help!Edited by: 16gaSxS

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a simple phone call and then they send you a form to you to varify the information.

Try it you will like it.Edited by: HowieE

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The link noted above to the NHTSA is not working. I have contacted the web master and advised. Hopefully it will be up in a few days.

In the mean time if you want to regester a comment call the DOT complaint line at 888 327 4236

1 - 9 of 9 Posts