Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm usually and advocate of the oil life monitoring system, I'm thinking that by adding more than the stock amount of fuel we may be shortning the life of the oil by adding more than the normal amount of combustion by products, mostly soot, and if you are no longer stock maybe you shouldn't go by the oil monitor? Thoughts?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Interesting theory. That would also say that people who thrash their trucks would need to do oil changes sooner as well. If the oil life monitor is counting revolutions, then I would think the extra blow by would not add up to that much over the life of the oil for the normal driver. If you were racing and doing tractor pulls all the time, I would agree. This is a rather gray area, but I think the theory is sound. Since I do oil analysis, I don't think I'll worry about it, but I will look at the soot trend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
a64pilot

I think you have a valid point here. GM formulated the oil life monitoring system based upon a totally stock motor and the environment it presented to the oil. If the motor is altered (fuel rate, timing, boost, ect.) the motor will present a different environment to the oil; causing the original formula to become invalid. I am not saying that if you have a box you should change your oil every 3000, but I would not suggest only changing it when the system tells you to(~10,000). Another question is what quality of oil did GM base this formula on, probably not Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=360 border=0 xmlns:xalan-nodeset="org.apache.xalan.xslt.extensions.Nodeset" xmlns:java="http://xml.apache.org/xslt/java">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top width=20> </TD>
<TD vAlign=top width=168></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
939 Posts
I was concerned about this as well, so I wrote Edge an email about it back in April. Aaron wrote back stating

"We feel the normal intervals are fine but the fuel filter should be changed around every 5,000. If there is anything else I can help with please let me know.

Thanks,

Aaron Stewart"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts