Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 05 2500 crew duramax with an allison 4x4. I have the banks 6-gun with the PDA, monster exhaust and volant cold air. I am running 285/75R16 tires. I love the power and really like the truck. I am now having problems with the steering during parking lot maneuvers. Going slow the steering wheel will not move. You really have to work the wheel to get it to turn. My dealer replaced the flow control valve in the power steering but it didn't help. Now they are saying the tires are too big. Well the problem is for that to come in to play you must know the contact patch, type of surface and rubber compound. It just seems like a cop out.
What I am trying to say is that GM needs to wake up, I am exactly the type of customer you are loosing to Toyota. I owned a 2002 Tundra ext cab V8 and loved the truck. I can't comment about Toyota's service department because I never had to use them. The fit and finish was years ahead of GM. As soon as Toyota comes out with a 3/4 ton truck with a diesel I will switch and probably never look back. GM should be worried about me, I am your target market 34 yr old married with 2 kids and a disposable income. There is a reason they are close to going bankrupt. By the way my Tundra also had 285/75R16 tires and turned just fine. Just imagine a lighter truck built with better steering.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
when i first bought my truck i asked the dealer if i put 265-285s on
my truck would it void my warranty they said no.the first time i brought
it to the dealer i noticed my tires feathering they checked it out and came back with its the bigger tires that are causing it.well i worked with
suspensions and tires approx 15 years now and never had larger tires feather like that o did i mention it was only the rear tires that were feathering fronts were great.my opinion is that if they make a truck to haul that much weight and to say tires are going to damage it is a crock
of chit. dont get me wrong though i love my truck and would not trade
it for another brand. i figured out the tires feathering were caused by
the rear being so light and how hard i accell. seen it on other bigger trucks also.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The new Tundra (saw pictures from the chicago auto show, will be a true full size truck with a 10k towing capacity. I'm curious on if and when they will bring a diesel to the tundra.

Back onto the subject, I had a tacoma and had serious issues with my dealership despite the truck not missing a beat. I truly love my current truck and don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I see you added aftermarket things Banks/Tires

But I do know the FHA DOT rule says they must fix Steering and Brakes the first time. But you might want to remove the 285's and go to another dealer asking if they can find and fix it.Stock tires on ebay are cheap

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Have you put the stock tires on it to see if it repeats when bringing it in for service?That's what I would do.

Good luck

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had the same problem on my 01 Chevy as I do now on my 05. Same size tire and same problem. It seems the power steering is really weak on the Chevy trucks. Backing my toybox into it's spot can be really difficult, do to steering whell locking up, even though it is almost a straight shot!!!!!! The power steering is a JOKE!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had the same problem on my 01 Chevy as I do now on my 05. Same size tire and same problem. It seems the power steering is really weak on the Chevy trucks. Backing my toybox into it's spot can be really difficult, do to steering whell locking up, even though it is almost a straight shot!!!!!! The power steering is a JOKE!
Great.

My steering just started whining if I try to turn the wheel fast at 0 or 1 MPH.

I've had two steering shaft replacements, the speedometer just broke, and all this after fighting for a year with the dealer to get it running right.

46,000 miles, stock tires. Worst GM vehicle I've ever owned.

Toyota is going to have a diesel you say?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
be sure to air up the big tires to 50 PSI.

One of my front 285's has a very very very slight leak...so like every 3 weeks if loses enough air to drop PSI down to 30 and the wheel becomes hard to turn when not moving. I air it up to 50 PSI and all is well again.

Ben

·
Registered
363 Posts
I received a very long survey from Toyota, asking what I like and disliked about my truck ('02 3500). Also, wanted to know how it could be improved. I think they are real serious, and yes, it seemed to indicate diesel power.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't understand why Nissan dosen't have a diesel. They used to run the smaller diesel engines they made in the old International Scouts.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

I don't understand why Nissan dosen't have a diesel. They used to run the smaller diesel engines they made in the old International Scouts.
Hey,

Nissan does, just not in North America. They have diesel powered Patrols running all over OZ & NZ!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mine has never done this until it hit the 30s here. Now every once and a while when backing out of a parking spot steering is almost not there. I feel like its 100% manual steering. I thought I had a flat it was so bad.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I Have 35x13.5's On Mine And It Also Gets Hard When Backing Up A Trailer Every Once In A While. I Just Apply The Brake Give It A Little Gas And It'll Turn Anyway You Want It To.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'v experienced steering issues while backing my trailer. Was told that the boost pump is not adequate to run both the brakes and steering at the same time while at an idle.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Because the diesel has no vacuum, brakes are hydro-boosted off the power steering pump. paul1987 nailed it, if you are on the brakes at idle you are losing power steering pressure to the brake boost.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I run my 285s at 40psi and at 50k I have never had any steering issues at any speeds or at a standstill. Something in your system isn't working right because these trucks will turn the wheels on dry pavement with a 1000# snowplow hanging off the front of them. That's a h*ll of a lot tougher than turning bigger tires. As already mentioned I'd put stock tires on and then take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
706 Posts
only thing i can add to this is that gm dealer prices on parts are a bad joke, i can't believe anyone would ever buy any parts from them. If they don't have it at napa or autozone i just call a gm dealer, ask for the price and part number of what i need, and then go on line and get it for 40-50% less and i will continue this practice for as long as i am driving, and i encourage others to do the same. $475 for a rotor when Napa has one in stock a mile down the street for $99?
-Paul

·
Registered
258 Posts
only thing i can add to this is that gm dealer prices on parts are a bad joke, i can't believe anyone would ever buy any parts from them. If they don't have it at napa or autozone i just call a gm dealer, ask for the price and part number of what i need, and then go on line and get it for 40-50% less and i will continue this practice for as long as i am driving, and i encourage others to do the same. $475 for a rotor when Napa has one in stock a mile down the street for $99?
-Paul
but that is for any dealer, My 00 Grand Cherokee had a bad tail light, I got one on line for 60$ but te dealer wants 200$. I just expect that from a dealer, GRANTED I've had to go to them for some parts, but that's only on a few items

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Idle hit it, you arent making enough power to run the brakes and steering while at idle.

Go ahead and buy a Toy, it will be their first year and your post on the toy forum will be something like this. "Engine wont start tranny smokes and has no forward speeds. I towed 10,000 pounds and the truck felt like it didnt have enough ***."

·
Registered
722 Posts
Go ahead and buy a Toy, it will be their first year and your post on the toy forum will be something like this. "Engine wont start tranny smokes and has no forward speeds. I towed 10,000 pounds and the truck felt like it didnt have enough ***."
:lol: :exactly:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts