Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but they just won't put it in a truck in the US. I was poking around and learned that GM and its affiliates have both 2.8L and 3.0L diesels. the 2.8 is what the put in their compact trucks in south america. seriously, how hard would it be to put a diesel in the Colorado. and how awesome would that be. especially for those of us that are always worried about the cost of a vehichle and its fuel milage. come on GM make it happen, or if jeep ever releases the gladiator I might be tempted to go that route.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I know it makes no sense. The only reason I can think of is that they oil companies must be in their pockets. The first of the big 3 to put a small diesel in a 1/2 ton, a small diesel in a compact car, and a 6 cyl diesel in a 1/2 ton will sell so many vehicles they won't be able to keep up. JMO.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I believe the Jeep Liberty has a small block diesel made in Italy in it. I always believed the oil and car companies were in bed but not to sure any more. If they were the oil companies are killing GM and Ford big vehicles ,why is the question would GM and Ford stay in bed with them , makes no sense any more

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
when I bought my 84' half ton short box 4x4 with a 6.2 I took alot of guff from folks I told them it was my car and to stick...... I still drive it and enjoy it just as much as when it was new. Friend of a friend tells me of a swap I am interested in and that is a cummins turbo 4cyl. in a suburban 80's style. 210 hp 27 miles per gallon. going to try to hook up with owner to see for myself.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I bet the reason you don't see the small diesels in the USA is due to emmisions regulations. Most other countries rules are less stringent than the ones in the USA. It's likely the marketing group figures the potential market for the small diesels is not large enough to justify the development costs of a diesel that would meet the requirements. The rules for higher GVW vehicles are not as tight as they are for the smaller cars. Also, when many people think of diesels, they think of the black smoke billowing slow moving trucks from years ago. There are more than a few on this board who are not helping things with the black smoke part.;)

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I bet the reason you don't see the small diesels in the USA is due to emmisions regulations. Most other countries rules are less stringent than the ones in the USA. It's likely the marketing group figures the potential market for the small diesels is not large enough to justify the development costs of a diesel that would meet the requirements. The rules for higher GVW vehicles are not as tight as they are for the smaller cars. Also, when many people think of diesels, they think of the black smoke billowing slow moving trucks from years ago. There are more than a few on this board who are not helping things with the black smoke part.;)
Exactly, there is little to no Environmental restriction in S&C America. they have all kind of cool variations on vehicles down there that for one reason or another dont fly up here. I remember back inthe early/mid 90's they had a 2 Door Dodge Suv based on a ram 1500. Very cool.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hopefully we'll see some small diesels over here after Low Sulfur Diesel becomes the standard in Fall 2006. Makes all the sense in the world to me, you can talk about your hybrids all you want but VW Jetta diesels have been getting well over 50 MPG for years.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
if you look at what opel has in cars in europe, can't figure out why not here in cars. are we the only country working to clean the environment, opel and vw should be able to be imported here "are we not told how strict their emissions are compared to ours by the news" every diesel marketed is selling maybe they could get idea what people want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
GM does sell a Colorado based truck with a small diesel and it can get 30-35 mpg. Europe has some pretty high emissions standards but they also have ULSD fuel and can take advantage of some of the new particulate filters on their cars and light trucks/vans. Mercedes BlueTec diesels have supposedly passed '07 emission regs for all 50 states. Ford has a Focus diesel that can easily get 50 mpg and it was approved for sale in the USA but never went on sale here. Honda and Toyota both have new cleaner diesels coming out for cars in the next few years. Change is coming!

We recently purchased an '06 VW Jetta diesel and we love it! It's a blast to drive with good low-end torque and it handles great. So far, we are getting about 40 mpg with less than 3k on the odo - driving with the auto six-speed in sport mode. We should average about 45 after break-in with trips being better yet. We have heard reports of people getting 50-60 mpg on long trips. The range on a tank will be about 600 miles at 42 mpg.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GM does sell a Colorado based truck with a small diesel and it can get 30-35 mpg. .
WHAT!!!, WHERE??? not anywhere i've ever seen.

also, yeah you do find some really nifty vehichles running around in countries south of us.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
WHAT!!!, WHERE??? not anywhere i've ever seen.

also, yeah you do find some really nifty vehichles running around in countries south of us.
Yeah - sorry, I should have elaborated a bit. That truck is not sold here, other countries only and I think they have them in Europe along with all the really nice diesel passenger cars. Europeans can have two, three or more choices in diesels for one car make/style.

I would really like to have a 4WD CUV with a diesel in the future, maybe even a diesel hybrid. Big three really need to get their heads out of their dupahs and :grd:

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Yeah - sorry, I should have elaborated a bit. That truck is not sold here, other countries only and I think they have them in Europe along with all the really nice diesel passenger cars. Europeans can have two, three or more choices in diesels for one car make/style.

I would really like to have a 4WD CUV with a diesel in the future, maybe even a diesel hybrid. Big three really need to get their heads out of their dupahs and :grd:
Thank our good ole EPA and all of the tree huggers in the US. There the reason we don't have these vehicles. They are all still in the mindset of the 70's where diesels are dirty nasty polluting creatures that should be extinct.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ford had a V6 diesel F150 @ SEMA that a friend of mine(dealer) had the opportunity drive and said the performance is great. "Supposed" to go into production sometime in 06' or early 07'. Rumors are also out that the GM test vehicle for the 6L80 tranny that is coming out in the Escalade, etc. was a 6 cylinder version of the duramax in a 1/2 ton. So the big 3 are thinking it also, it's just when will we get it????

·
Registered
47 Posts
The particlulates in diesel exhuast are very bad for your lungs. It is the US GOV that put off the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel....and I am sure you can guess why. (Think texas and oil) When that becomes available, diesel vehicles will start showing up and some may even be able to use B100. Its about GD time. Some new vehicles being developed in OTHER countries, DIESEL motorcycles. 100-200MPG. Thats right! Imagine riding a motorcycle across the USA, 3000 miles, and using THIRTY GALLONS of fuel! You will see oil men dropping like flies from heassive heart attacks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
USLD at last

Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel is due out by this fall, according to http://www.dieselnet.com/ . This time next year I bet we'll be seeing a number of "announcements" for light duty diesels. You can be sure that manufacturers & suppliers are scrambling to meet the tough 2007 - 2008 emission standards. :grd: I sure hope they engineer these new diesels to run on biodiesel. Maybe we'll even get these cars & trucks in the CARB states:rolleyes:

Later

·
Registered
998 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I did it right the Intercooled 3.0L is about 95HP & 285Tq.

What about these mini-maxes that Isuzu has in the Aussie and EU trucks?
Thats enough for me! I wonder what the MPG is? Has to be great, full size gets about 17-22, I would bet i could get 32mpg out of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts