Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dexcool

General Motors and ChevronTexaco Sued in Class Action

The law firms of Cory Watson Crowder and DeGaris, P.C., Whatley Drake LLC and King Marker Armstrong LLC have filed a class action suit against General Motors, ChevronTexaco, Equilon and ChevronTexaco Global Lubricants alleging defective engine coolant systems in most General Motors vehicles, light trucks and SUVs sold since 1996. That was the year that General Motors made the decision to begin using Dexcool as the antifreeze/coolant in theses vehicles. Dexcool is manufactured, distributed, and marketed by ChevronTexaco, Equilon and ChevronTexaco Global Lubricants.

The suit, ROBIN FLYNN and CHERYL HALL et al. vs. GENERAL MOTORS CORP., et al. filed in Madison County, Illinois seeks to compensate class members for damages to their vehicles. The most commonly reported damages included corroded, rusted and clogged radiators, eroded aluminum cylinder heads, eroded water pumps and thermostat housings, rotten and leaking radiator hoses, leaky heater cores and freeze plugs, corroded radiator caps, deposits within the cooling system, damaged and leaky cooling system gaskets, damage to the head gaskets, chronic overheating, damage to the engine, oil in engine coolant system, leaking coolant, deposits on the overflow tanks and sludge in the engine coolant system.

Dexcool was initially marketed as a long life universal automotive engine coolant that would last for 5 years or 100,000 miles of service. It is now marketed to last for 5 years or 150,000 miles of service. Manufacturers of traditional antifreeze/coolants generally market that their antifreeze/coolants will provide dependable thermal control and corrosion and rust protection for twenty-four (24) months or 30,000 miles. The major difference in Dexcool over traditional coolants is in the corrosion inhibitor protection. Traditional antifreeze/coolants contain inorganic salts of borate, phosphate, silicate and other chemicals to prevent rust and corrosion, whereas, Dexcool’s® corrosion inhibitor components, are based on organic acid technology (OAT). Dexcool is orange and traditional antifreeze is green.

Over thirty-four million vehicles have been sold and continue to be sold by General Motors containing Dexcool. In many of these vehicles, the problems in the engine coolant system do not become apparent to owners until after the warranty has expired. General Motors has not agreed to repair vehicles not in warranty, recall vehicles, replace Dexcool with traditional coolants, change the maintenance schedule to include inspection of the engine coolant system, replace the coolant or inform owners.

If you have purchased or leased a 1996 or later model General Motors vehicle, regardless of whether you have had any problems you may be eligible to join the class. Use our Online Evaluation to join this important litigation.

© 2003 Cory Watson Crowder & DeGaris, P.C.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Oh My God..........
Injectors bad........
Bigger tires cant be calibrated......
Additives void warranty......

NOW

My coolant is dissolving my engine and cooling system..

Is there a better coolant? Should I drain it and put a better coolant in?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you have anything to be concerned about
... from reading about DexCool over the last few months there haven't been any wide spread problems with the Duramax trucks. Most of the problems have been in the s10, vans, primarily the 4.3 engine. If your engine or truck start dissolving, please PM me so I can begin flushing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Problem child, I have read many of your posts and have decided that you have a distorted view about General Motors products. All I have read that you have written is whining. There is a small percentage of all vehicles that have problems, some more than others. The Duramax is by far superior to the competition in many ways yet all you seem to say is negative. I hope you can educate yourself with all the great info on this site. If not I think you may be better suited to the Ford or Dodge team, then you may see the light. But be ready because the light you see will be the tailights of a Duramax.

By the way if you are one of the few that have problems
!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
OK
Ill explain.....
About 75% of the posts here are about problems. Most of my posts are asking questions about how to protect my investment $$$ (oil filters, fuel filters, larger tires, additives). Maybe you could show me all the posts of mine that are whining.

Did you know I had to sell my last GM truck because of a bad engine/transmission by 50K?

I lost 12k selling it.

I figured GM didnt build the tranny or engine on this duramax and I would be OK.

So far my new truck has the following issues. Mind you Ive only had it 2 months.

1 Severely pulling front end (tire pull)
2 Roof buckles/pops at hwy speeds above 75 mph.
3 Heater sticks wide open right side.
4 Cassette deck broken.
5 Surging at red lights.
6 Squeaking/crashing noise back bed area

So then I come here only to find out that my 7,000 dollar injectors ( a joke) are prone to failure.

That I have to spend more money on after market filters.

That larger tires might void my warranty.

That larger tires cant be calibrated to my computer.

That Dexcool disolves my entire power train.

So how would you feel? I wish I had bought a Yugo.

Oh and your welcome to write me a check for all the money I have to spend or had spent on GM failures.Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
217 Posts
So if you had such crappy luck with your previous GM vehicle, why not do a bit of research on your next vehicle before going right back to the source of so much pain and suffering? Just wondering....because if I had lost 12K on my previous vehicle I sure as hell would not go back to the same manufacturer for my replacement!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I can answer that too.
My truck was falling apart and I had to sell it. I didnt want to. I didnt want to loose $$$$.
I had bought the Chevy with the lemon check from Ford (48 repairs in 6 months). Before that I had a toyota 4x4 that had 3 trannies by 22k (another lemon check) I got a brand new Dodge P/U as a loaner while my truck was in the shop and the tranny failed on a brand new dodge loaner with 11 miles on it.

So what was I to buy? Thats pretty much every truck made.
I thought diesels lasted millions of miles. I thought allisons were the best tranny. My other GM only had power train issues. I thought I was making the right choice.

Only time will tell. I have bought the filters. I will install this weekend. I can only hope and pray this truck doesnt fall apart. But by the looks of whats already happening, I have my doubts.

You are right about 1 thing. I should have done more research. I didnt know about this forum until it was too late.

Sorry if you dont like my posts. I have lost a lot of money and am very negative about new trucks now.

·
Registered
617 Posts
problemchild

Man, am I glad I don't have your rotten luck. My truck has 32,000 miles on it and has never been to the dealership for a problem I didn't create (overfilled grease boot on tie-rod end and it busted, hooked CB radio hot lead where I shouldn't have and burned out the dimmer switch). 285 series tires, pull 16.5k fifth wheel, and even the wife hasn't torn it up yet. You are like the black widdow of automobiles, I see where your name comes from.

·
Registered
463 Posts
problemchild said:
I can answer that too.
My truck was falling apart and I had to sell it. I didnt want to. I didnt want to loose $$$$.
I had bought the Chevy with the lemon check from Ford (48 repairs in 6 months). Before that I had a toyota 4x4 that had 3 trannies by 22k (another lemon check) I got a brand new Dodge P/U as a loaner while my truck was in the shop and the tranny failed on a brand new dodge loaner with 11 miles on it.

So what was I to buy? Thats pretty much every truck made.
I thought diesels lasted millions of miles. I thought allisons were the best tranny. My other GM only had power train issues. I thought I was making the right choice.

Only time will tell. I have bought the filters. I will install this weekend. I can only hope and pray this truck doesnt fall apart. But by the looks of whats already happening, I have my doubts.

You are right about 1 thing. I should have done more research. I didnt know about this forum until it was too late.

Sorry if you dont like my posts. I have lost a lot of money and am very negative about new trucks now.

Dude,

Me thinks your next truck should be a car!
LOL

Are you one of those people who can't wear a wrist watch 'cause they keep stopping? You either have the black cloud of sh**ty luck hanging over you, or you drive like maniac.

That's gotta be the most repair problems I've ever heard of one person having! I sincerely hope you have finally landed good truck this time. You deserve a break!

Kevin

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Thanks......
Want to laugh out loud ? Read this.....

My buddy and I go to the local gun shop to buy a pair of 45's.

We buy 2 gold cups ( back when u could) and as were were looking at them I say to my buddy. "You know Im going to get the one that jams". He laughs and said yep. I said humor me and Lets switch guns. So I bought the one he was holding and vice versa. Guess what? I got the one that would stove pipe a shell casing every 5th round. Sent it back to Colt 4 times. Finally had to sell it cuz they couldn't fix it right.

I have the worst flipping luck in the world.
My dog bites me......
My girlfriend cheats on me...
My job goes out of business...
I get evicted before xmas...

Thats the kind of luck I have. I wont mention going to jail as a check forger ( it wasnt me it was a guy with the exact same name).

I recently stood out in a lighting storm taking pictures just to test God. I won that round.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
problemchild, if you sent your life story of bad luck to Hollywood they would make a movie and you'd be a rich man ...then you could afford the extended warranty.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Are u kiddin.......

Did u think id drive off the lot without an xtended warranty.

With my luck?

Now im gonna go play a country western record backwards.
So I can get my wife back, my house back, my job back and my dog to love me again....hahaha

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
problemchild said:
Are u kiddin.......

Did u think id drive off the lot without an xtended warranty.

With my luck?

Now im gonna go play a country western record backwards.
So I can get my wife back, my house back, my job back and my dog to love me again....hahaha

ROTFLMAO

·
Registered
490 Posts
The Dexcool issue concerns me. My wife has a Blazer with the 4.6L engine. The heater is putting out cold air. T-stat has been replaced and operating temp is normal. Looks like the heater core is plugged.

I guess the only way to fix it is to move to Florida.

I have owned GM products for ALL of my driving career. Little to no trouble. Worst vehicle was a 1973 C20 pickup. The drivers side window kept falling out of it's track. A 1990 1500 shortbed, with 305 had a blown head gasket, covered under warranty. I was just told it met it's demise in a traffic accident. Had somewhere around 150K on it with original clutch!
I did own a 1982 6.2L diesel for a few years. It got great mileage, but was a gutless wonder. I suspect the speedo had been turned back, It had 52,000 on it when I bought it. I suspect it was 152,or 252,000, the way it used oil.

Overall my family and friends have extremely good luck with GM products.

My new Dmax seems to be getting good mileage compared to some of the other posts I have seen. I hope that is a good sign.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Problemchild, I think maybe your next vehicle should be a bicycle, or maybe a nice pair of shoes.

What terrible luck...

Just given' you a hard time!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
ProblemChild ~ kinda suspected there was a story behind the handle. you may feel a need to try something else ~ I would avoid getting involved w/livestock like horses tho ~

Made me recall my brother who several times (like more than half dozen) been targeted by birds in flight.

Then were was another report, and tv appearance of a fella that had been struck by lightening ~ 3 times and survived.Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Believe it or not my luck seems to only apply to certain things. I had always wanted to go skydiving. So 5 years ago I went. I loved it so I took lessons and got my A license. Then I bought some gear. Then I got my B,C and expert license. I have skydived for 6 years now without 1 single glitch. I have even trash packed my main parachute when I was in a hurry. It opened without any problems.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is that someone stealing your truck down in the parking lot?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Problemchild wrote: I recently stood out in a lighting storm taking pictures just to test God. I won that round

You didn't win. He let you live. God looks after fools, small children, and people with bad trucks!(The later being you)
I hope things start going your way, and God Blessed!Edited by: GPtimes2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts