1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date Created: 01/14/2003 Author: /MINACSGM/CA
Reference: HIDL
Reference #: TRUCK 2002 11
Document Title: DIESEL FUEL ENTERING ENGINE CRANKCASE OIL (After Market Power Booster Kit) - TRUCK NOVEMBER 2002 - HIDL
Condition:
Cause:
Correction: Look for an after market power booster kit - 2001-02 Trucks with a 6.6L LB7 diesel engine
There are some cases where diesel fuel is getting in to the engine oil due to the addition of an after market power booster kit.
These power boosters raise the power by commanding additional fuel from the injection system. This additional fuel can not be consumed in the combustion process and the extra fuel is forced by the piston rings into the crankcase. This type of failure is not covered by warranty.

Make it a habit to look for after market equipment as a part of your regular diagnostic routine.

These devices, can be disconnected, very easily by the owner prior to bringing the truck in for service.

If an after market booster kit is installed to increase the engine power, what effect will that have on the transmission?

The transmission controls have been highly integrated with the LB7 Duramax diesel and the L18 gas engine in GM pickups. Part of this integration is that the TCM has a "map" of each engine's torque output throughout its operating RPM. The TCM uses "Shift Energy Management" (SEM). During most range shifts, there is more power available than necessary to perform the shift. The unused engine power traditionally goes into slipping clutches, and results in additional heat, gear and bearing loads without adding to vehicle performance. Through engine/transmission communication, SEM is the electronic control process that reduces torque during range upshifts to a level resulting in consistent transmission output torque before and after the shift. The net result is optimized shift quality as well as reduced clutch energy.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
who in their right mind would want to add a power adder? not me

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
"stress on the gears and bearings"

yeah right. That input shaft is as big as my arm and the P1-P3 planets are the size of a watermelon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Power Adders? is that the stuff I see Banks advertising on TV? :lol:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
What is this "power adder" you speak of ? :think:

I no speaka da inglish bery well. :confuzeld

:naughty:

·
Registered
110 Posts
power adder?

I think it's like a regular puff-adder, only bigger, with more venom.

So don't y'all be putting no big snakes in yor truck, or you'll void yer warrn'ty!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Power adder = calculator ?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I can't imagine anyone modifing their truck, but I suppose it could happen.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Yeah...

Like their #1 problem with fuel in the oil is tuning. :rolleyes:

So they are saying:

If there is fuel in the oil, the guy probably had a tuner NOT 3 LEAKY INJECTORS!!!

I wonder what boob writes this stuff. :confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
You silly guys...dont ya know that the "power adder" is the module we put on our trucks to consume all the extra power that them big alternators put out!
now, what the hell is the booster kit? Im stumped!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Who needs more power?

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
These trucks have power?Where do you put it?Is that what the power cord coming out of the bumper is for?How long do you got to plug it in to get a full charge?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts