Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys and gals here it is. This is the very same thing that Racor has in their RK-32313 kit. Kit includes the 660R122 filter assembly with 200 watt heater and WIF probe that hooks direct into the trucks information center. Included is a bracket, hose, fittings, wiring harness and Racor filter wrench. This kit is plug and play. Install will take 30-60 minutes. With this kit you do not cut a section out of the fuel line , instead you cut the fuel line directly behind the fuel filter and hook up the hoses.

I will have these ready to go in about a week to ten days. Price is $285 and anyone that orders one between now and January 30 gets a replacement filter at half price ($19.00)limit 6.

Edited by: LanduytG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Please refresh my memory...Where does this kit mount, and also does the wiring harness work with all model years? What micron filter is the 660?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mounts on the frame just in front of the fuel tank. No holes to drill because we are using to that are already there. The filter that I am providing is a 2 micron but it could be substituted with a 10 or 30 micron. Element. Wiring harness works with all model years.

Greg

·
Registered
430 Posts
Greg...are there any differences between your kit and the RK-32313 being offered by Racor? The first Racor dealer I called is selling the RK-32313 for just under $275, which also includes a substituted 2 micron filter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
LanduytG

When you say 2 micron, is that nominal or absolute? What is the efficiency or Beta value?

Pete

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roegs
The only difference is how the fuel lines are attached, other wise its the very same. After all they copied mine. If you can get it for $275 I would get it, but I will have them and they don't and don't have any idea when they will get them either.

2 micron at 95% eff. It was been proven by many fuel analysis form others.

Greg

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks like a nice kit, Greg. The wiring harness looks like a sano job too!

Steve

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nice Kit, mines just like it except for the WIF sensor.

I do want one of those bowl wrenches though, How much and how do I go about getting one?

·
Registered
78 Posts
LanduytG, I need to add a kit to my 04d/a but I'm so confused with all the different kits out there. I'm a little confused about where the filter is mounted, but you say the rubber hose by the o.e. filter needs to be cut, I don't understand how you plumb the racor filter by the tank without cutting or removing anything in 60 minutes or so. Please don't misunderstand my confusion/ignorance. Is it posibble to see some installation pics for clarity.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rubber hose is not cut, you mount the filter and have the hose attached to the filter. You then use a small tubing cutter to cut the metal fuel linre that runs behind the filter. Ince cut you slide the hose over the top and use the spring clamp provided to hold it in place. This is be easiest filter to install.

Greg

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
LanduytG said:
The rubber hose is not cut, you mount the filter and have the hose attached to the filter. You then use a small tubing cutter to cut the metal fuel linre that runs behind the filter. Ince cut you slide the hose over the top and use the spring clamp provided to hold it in place. This is be easiest filter to install.

Greg, I think you need to clarify - you are saying "cut behind the FILTER" which is NOT on the frame or near the tank. Do you mean COOLER?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
But then there is the warranty issue of cutting the lines with this then isn't there? Or is it the same as the one GM was going to sell?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
LanduytG said:

Greg

Seems like a real hack way to install a filter. Great if you don't want to reverse it, or if you want to risk small bits of metal from the cut fuel line making it past the factory filter. I don't care how good your tubing cutter is. If this is in fact the same kit to be offered by GM, congrats, boys! You've done it again.

Ty

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I have the original kit Racor kit from Greg, the install/mount is the same... I have picts of the install via the link in my sig.

On edit, I don't think there is an issue with cutting the fuel line. You have the OEM down stream and when you cut the fuel line fuel dumps out both ends which I think would help wash away any metal particles left over by the tubing cutter. Wouldn't there be just as much risks to getting stuff in the fuel system by disconnecting the lines from the tank?

Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No you cut the 1/2" line right behind the filter and install the hose. The racor kit also cuts the line but the take out a section of it. With mine if you want to take it off you just pull off the hoses and get a couple to put the line back together. With the Racor/GM kit your screwed because now you have to replace a section of the line.

With mine you plumb it so when you are looking at the filter the inlet is on the right and the outlet on the left. Once the line is cut you take the hose on the right (inlet) sweep it back behind the filter and slide it onto the supply line from the tank which is the line on the left side of the filter. Take to hose on the left side of the filter (outlet) and run it behind the filter and slide it over the line on the right thats going to the engine. The reason for doing it this way is so you only have to cut the line in one spot and you have nice sweeping bends. I has worked great for dozens of installs.

I need to get some install pictures and then you would understand better what I am taking about. I guess you could do it the way the Racor/GM kit does it but their really no advantage to doing it that way.

Greg

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Could this sit post oem on the 2nd alt bracket holes?
Would it be too restrictive to run this post oem and the nictane pre-oem for a total of 3 filters?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Greg, maybe you should say, mount the filter and then cut the line behind the filter.

Jomar

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
tophog, thats a nice clean install, tell me though it looks pretty exposed too the element's, I would be concerned about a rock flying up and cracking the plastic bowl, are you planning on installing some sort of skid plate under neat it for protection?.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
keystonekid said:
tophog, thats a nice clean install, tell me though it looks pretty exposed too the element's, I would be concerned about a rock flying up and cracking the plastic bowl, are you planning on installing some sort of skid plate under neat it for protection?.

I've thought about the "broken bowl" scenario and have pondered fabricating some type of shield or simply buying a backup bowl. I'm off the ground more with a 4" lift however that wouldn't prevent a rock from hitting it. I feel the filter is relatively well protected as it sits up above the bottom of the frame and being more toward the rear of the truck a broken bowl isn't very likely, but possible. A broken bowl does bring up the subject of a shut-off valve. If the bowl somehow got broken by a rock or whatever you would want to shut-off fuel flow ... assuming fuel would dump out ... wouldn't want the local hazmat team showing up for a fuel spill and having you pay some fine and clean-up costs
I guess a pair of vice grips would work too.

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
About braking the plastic bowl, how about a guard, a kevlar padded sock. How about if ya brake the bowl, ya have a series of valves to by pass the filter.

How's the wires hook up.

I want one...........

1 - 20 of 87 Posts