Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Chevy c3500hd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on installing my water temperature gauge in my 6.5 soon. Are there any coolant ports on the side of the block that aren't occupied that have a 1/8-27 NPT thread?

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are tiny drains from the cylinder water jackets, but they're probably quite rusted in and difficult to extract from an installed engine.

I don't think the cylinder water-jacket temperature is of any particular value ... the coldest water in the system is in the lower radiator hose, warming thru the cylinders, really warming thru the heads, then exiting/bypassing the thermostat. I believe you want the sender/pickup in either the crossover joining the two heads, or anywhere between that junction and the thermostat. Both pieces (crossover, thermostat housing) are cast aluminum, and should be pretty easy for even a novice tech to drill and tap, if you don't have a suitable existing port.

·
Registered
2001 Chevy c3500hd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glowshift makes an adapter that you can tap into radiator hoses if you cut them and use hose clamps. Any idea what size the upper radiator hose is?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts