Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been plugging my truck in regularly here lately when it gets cold(below 40 f), for about the last month or so, it almost feels as if i never plugged in. it's loud on start up, and like this mornin, i had to crank it about 2 seconds or so longer than normal, and a bigger than normal cloud of smoke. think it's a gp issue or my block heater wearing out. i typically plug it in when i get home, cause bein a vol. fireman you never know when your gonna have to leave in the middle of the night. i didnt search it because i've been pressed for time lately. thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
lol ide be happy if mine started within two seconds. you could take one out and testem, first make sure you are getting power to them during activation. my money is on cold weather, makes it harder for everyones diesel. how long is usual cranking time?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Do an Ohm meter check on the block heater ~20 Ohms. Glow plugs check for power during glow cycle (test light).
Check each glow-plug with wire removed using test light to battry, if it lights OK, no light go shopping.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
How old are your injectors? How many miles on them?

I was having the same staring issues, lots of smoke on cold starts. After changed my injectors and glow plugs, the smoke was gone.

Old injectors can leak down leaving fuel in the cylinders which results in extra smoke on start up.

Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 167,000 miles on my injectors, 128,000 miles on the injection pump and the engine has never been apart except for replacing the timing chain with DSG gears I got from Kennedy.

The first glow plugs were renewed with AC60G's when the injectors were, and I just repeated the process and replaced the glow plugs with new AC60G units - the same ones I installed back when the injectors were last changed. Just changing the glow plugs did not solve the problems though - you might need to install a new glow plug relay.

My batteries are 3+ years old and I have started my truck regularly over the last 3-4 weeks at work when it has been 0F to 10F outside. I can't plug it in, so it better start, and it has started right up every time on all 8 with very little white smoke.

I give credit to constant use of Stanadyne Blue (used ever since the truck was new), DSG gears, and I use Amoco diesel fuel from the same place every time I buy fuel. I have found the 6.5 and 6.2 GM trucks I've owned are very sensitive to good diesel fuel and have a high cetane fuel is very important. I bought a batch of fuel 3 years ago and was almost convinced my fuel pump was going out until I refilled with good stuff. I know injectors and pump are beyond the normal replacement range for most 6.5 engines, but as long as it runs and starts as it has, I'm holding out until warmer weather to replace them.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Inj are getting long in the service life, is your mpg still pretty good so those are a possibility

But also have a look to the glow relay (see pics/thread in FAQ), problem both myself & KNKREB found was that glows themselves were okay but we weren't getting voltage to them, the relays contact transfer bar could not make good contact as over time the plastic of the relay housing melted internally and prevented the transfer bar from closing the power contacts to energize the glowplugs

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help guys, i might get a chance to check them tomorrow. my usual starting time is like 1-2 seconds of cranking, so it's about 3-4 seconds, but this mornin it started perfect, just like a 65 deg day. i guess it just wants to sleep late some mornins. lol. don't know how old my injectors are, only 121,000 miles on the truck, i'm the second owner and i haven't replaced anything but the ip, dealer said it was the second ip put on the truck. i use power service especially now that we got ulsd. :( thanks again guys, i'll hopefully get to check it out tomorrow

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It sounds like your injectors are likely original. I doubt the first owner would have changed them, especially if he had it less thank 100k miles. If you don't know the age of your glow plugs then change them while your changing your injectors. You're looking at about $350 total for parts and maybe 5 hours total time for both sides (provided you don't run into any snags).

Your quick starting will be restored. Mine was.
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts