Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fried my GP relay for the second time recently. It shorted out internally and the glows were staying on all the time (key off). I'm not sure what it costs but I figured it would be in the $70-$100 USd range so I replaced it with a momentary switch from radio shack ($3) and an accessory relay ($5) and it works beautifully.
I cut the pink and black fused wire from the ignition switch to the GP relay and put the momentary inline, then wired the relay to trigger with the momentary powered, allowing the relay to pull the amps the plugs use from.

·
Registered
50 Posts
An accessory relay most likely won't handle the load, you should substitute a higher power relay if possible. The glow plugs draw 60 to 90 amps, most accessory relays are rated at 20 amps.

What you want is often described as a Ford (sorry) starter relay. Another choice which may be easier to mount and locate is a starter relay from a lawn/garden tractor that has electric start.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Now, that you mention it D'oh, of course!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW
Even with the 30 amp relay the truck has been starting much better. I havn't seen white smoke since I started using this setup.

I bought a ford firewall mounted solenoid for $6 new for the next one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How about a picture of this setup? I did some searching for a schematic and didn't find one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts