Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing some recent threads about broken glow plugs reminded me of this...
Years ago, the local GM stealer replaced the glowplugs on my truck. They broke 2 of them, so they just replaced 6 instead of all 8. Charged for all 8 though...
Anyway, is there any harm in not replacing them all? Other than a bit of missing and some smoke for a few seconds after a cold start, there's no harm done, right? The truck usually only misses and smokes when it's below freezing and not plugged in, which is not all that often. As long as it starts fine, I shouldn't need to replace them, right?

·
Registered
906 Posts
If the stealer broke em, they should fix em.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would think so...
It's so long ago that I can't really go after them now.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
You would think so...
It's so long ago that I can't really go after them now.
Don't matter, I remember a guy brought his Dodge into the dealer I worked at with 64,583 miles on it to get a tune-up done. It was it's first tune-up(due at 30K) and the #1 plug was cross threaded in and couldn't be removed. Dodge said it was abuse since he hadn't done his tune-up at 30K like the manual says. Dodge ended up paying the whole bill to replace the head and all of the labor even though he was almost 29K out of warranty. Dealers are held to the same standards. But proving they did it is another story.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I'm at a point that I'm not real trusting of them any more. I'd just as soon that mine be the only set of hands under the hood of my truck. That way I know if somethings done, it's done right.
I just want to know if it's all that important to have working glow plugs. The truck starts fine, and only misses and blows smoke when it's below freezing and not plugged in. Is there any harm in not replacing the glow plugs?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't think there will be any harm in having a rough cold start from a few bad glow plugs. Mine is doing the same thing as I have a few bad ones I'm in the process of replacing. I don't think my neighbors appreciate their house getting fogged out in a cloud of diesel smoke every morning though. :eek::

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Best way i've found to clear up a rough start is after 2 seconds of running is to just shut it down, re-run the glow cycle and it clears up immediately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts