Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have been following this one a little http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95036

I changed the oil & trans fluid in it just to be sure there were no flood issues both sumps were water free. When I went to start it back up; it would crank only. "Now What"???, I had a new Heath remote driver kit so I went ahead and installed it, nope that's not it. I could hear the glow relay kicking it and see the command going out on my scan tool, all that was cool.

Truck had not been having much of a starting issue, and that P380 code was intermittent, so I did not think I had a glow problem,,,, well now ,,,, sumthin weren't rite, truck was starting fine after extended crank on 70F day, but now that it was 50 F no joy. Battery's were new just replaced, grounds were clean, so I was perplexed. yesterday after it had warmed back up to 70 it started up.

Hmmn that ain't rite, so I started investigating what it could be I've attached some photos to help me splain it some. Wait for the photos I'm still editing them for size & comment they will be coming in as I edit them

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just got through with the same problem, turned out my glow plug controller was bad and I had a few glow plugs not working at all. Replaced the controller and plugs and no it starts just fine.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shown here are pics, first I probed the output of the glow relay to see if it was sending any volts to the glow plugs it wasn't, then I probed the PCM input to the controller, as I could hear the relay click but no power was going to the glows.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then having a need to know more I dissected the thing

Attachments

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem was even though glow relay was cycling, contact wasn't being made thru the transfer bar to feeding the glow plugs, plastic had melted keeping one side of the bar from fully engaging. During my troubleshooting, I also found 1 bad glowplug, there may be 2 more, but behind the turbo downpipe I could not get to em, I'll do those when I replace the downpipe & upgrade to the 4" exhaust.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After finding I have original GM 11G's I'm thinking on replacing with some sort of quick heats.

I'm leaning toward a set of 60Gs as a study done over on the Page showed that they were good for extended glow cycle, and seemed to heat as quickly as the Kennedy quick heats I have in my 98 truck, the OEM 11Gs will burn out with extended glow time but don't swell like the original 9Gs did.

·
Registered
247 Posts
TD, so what did you do - fix or replace relay? Are they dealer-only, expensive? Hope you didn't use and Briggs & Stratton parts ! Or I guess you put mower on back burner for the 6.5.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too funny, it was repair lots of broke stuff day at the house as I've been ont the road for my day job last 2 months, the Briggs part was indeed for a mower (new muffler) I had fixed while I was waiting for the new relay to arrive. I got the new relay at O'Riley's auto parts $49 lifetime warranty

·
Registered
129 Posts
BobT;1372444; said:
TD, so what did you do - fix or replace relay? Are they dealer-only, expensive? Hope you didn't use and Briggs & Stratton parts ! Or I guess you put mower on back burner for the 6.5.

New Borge Warner Relay, 8 AcDelco 60g plugs from Orielly Auto $148.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dvdmacdaddy;1373030; said:
New Borge Warner Relay, 8 AcDelco 60g plugs from Orielly Auto $148.

If you still have them list the p/ns in the part point sticky

·
Registered
129 Posts
Will do.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Following the traces on the control board relay, you have:

+ volt
- volt
signal from ECM.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
always a joy watching someone else do a great job of trouble shooting.

·
Registered
308 Posts
BobT;1372444; said:
TD, so what did you do - fix or replace relay? Are they dealer-only, expensive? Hope you didn't use and Briggs & Scrapiron parts ! Or I guess you put mower on back burner for the 6.5.
Fixed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I priced a relay today at a local parts store for about $65.00.Maybe I will take mine apart.The only time I can get anything on the output post is when I push on the post with a screw driver.And it is tight.Thinking now it was the start of my problems to have to build another motor.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
electricucian;1379731; said:
I priced a relay today at a local parts store for about $65.00.Maybe I will take mine apart.The only time I can get anything on the output post is when I push on the post with a screw driver.And it is tight.Thinking now it was the start of my problems to have to build another motor.
Try Rockauto. They are about 1/2 to 2/3 of that price, depending on which one you need. Local salvage yard should have them, too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a old ford ranger,maybe I will rob a part or two off of it.What a shame,ford parts on my G.M.C.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone prices the relay lately?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Wow couldn't you find an older thread? 2006 a lot of our trucks were only 10 years old.

I don't recognize any of the participants. They must have moved on to Dmaxes or left GM diesels all together.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It was on the Glow plug Sticky... Oh well :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts