Diesel Place banner

Glow Plugs

4K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  CottonWoodBlues 
#1 ·
My trucks in for sevice, needs 8 new glowplugs. Question is, do the heads have to be pulled off so the new ones can be put in and how long can i expect the dealer to have it for? Thanks

#7 ·
Since I just went through this with mine, allow me to tell you how I intend to watch this ....

I will watch the WTS (wait to start) light everytime I start my truck cold. If the light does not go out after 2-3 secs (normal operation), I will be calling for a tow. This is happening when your WTS light stays on and the glow plugs burn off after sometime glowing. I was lucky the first time, I dont want to have this same thing happen again. Thats my plan, I hope it works.

The symptoms are that the WTS light stays on upon a cold start and thus burning off the tips of the plugs.

#8 ·
Are you saying if the light takes longer than say 5 seconds to go out then that would that indicate a problem?

If it stays on continuously then it definitely has a problem and your advise to not start sounds like sound judgement. I shall certainly pay more attention to the time from now on. Mine goes out in that 2-3 seconds but I have not really timed it to see how much variation I get. It has not been that cold to have any starting issues.

Any info or theory why the 06's are burning the glow plugs? Does it sound like a potential recall for over heated plugs? and perhaps a software adjustment to prevent a burn out.

#6 · (Edited)
I just got my LLY back it was in the shop for over a month, had 3 pistons replaced and both heads. there were no signs leading up to the failure. I went to start my truck on day and the wait to start light stayed on until the engine was turned over. and the check engine light came on after the first occurance

#12 ·
I personally have never waited the full wait to start cycle, have never had any starting problems at all, keeping fingers crossed.
The glowplugs in the dmax are 4.7 volt in a 12 volt system, get full hot in about 1.5 seconds. I would suspect any longer than 5 seconds run time the tips could melt, if i can get my hands on a dmax plug i will hook it up and see.

#14 ·
I remember on the older Ford diesels you could buy aftermarket dual-coil glow-plugs..... in theory they will not burn out like regular plugs. The way they work is as they heat up, their resistance increases, so they self-regulate their temperature. Whereas regular GP's draw current until the tip melts off.

#16 ·
Dom C, WTS light would not go off until the engine was started. After it was running Check Engine light would stay on. Codes were p0676 & p0671 IIRC it was the glow plug circuit failure on the #1 & #5 cylinder. After i got it back from the dealer, they told me the problem was from the battery cable being loose from when i had some stereo stuff installed a couple weeks before. Fixed under warranty and running great.

#18 ·
And GM claims that they arent having problems with the GPCM? Why else would this happen twice to the same truck with 2 different engines? I bet they re-installed your original GPCM with the new motor and this could be the "real" problem. The bulletin says do not replace the GPCM.

#20 ·
Well, 3400 on mine and no issues. Was Delivered in February and built the 3rd week of Jan. Most of glowplug issues seem to be with the very early LBZs. If you guys can check your doors and post the Build Dates that might help narrow it down.

#21 ·
Well, 3400 on mine and no issues. Was Delivered in February and built the 3rd week of Jan. Most of glowplug issues seem to be with the very early LBZs. If you guys can check your doors and post the Build Dates that might help narrow it down.

That would be good. I'm getting ready to purchase and would like to make sure before I sign on the line.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.