Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I just got this truck a couple of days ago, and already I'm thinking about killing it.

The truck had *something* happen, where all the plugs ended up swelling up. I've stuggled with just this one plug, and need assistance. I pulled the injector, and lassoed the tip of the plug. I pulled the threads off, and tried knocking it into the precomp port to pull it out. Nada. Seems like the plug is a little too long to slip back out the GP opening.
I'm afraid of having to pull the heads (My First Diesel), but I can't see any way to take care of it. I've attached a pic with the hope someone has a better idea.

-P

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the GPs are swollen,either they should've been replaced sooner,or it's a bad/cheap batch of GPs.I know with Ford(thats what I have,BIL has the 6.5 I work on),there is a certain type of GP they we have to use,ones that don't swell.As for getting them out,a head job might be in order.Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be along shortly,here's a bump for ya anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just happened to have the same problem on a few glow plugs the other day when I had to replace all glow plugs because of a bad glow plug relay - something happened that all glow plugs were fried. What someone suggested on my thread was to place a small collar of soft metal (like copper - from a copper pipe) and clamp it around the threaded part of the glow plug - I used a pair of pliers. Now keep threading the glow plug out --- the soft metal collar will push against the engine block and continue to push the glow plug out. It worked for me on about three of the glow plugs. Another person suggested once the glow plug has been threaded out crank the engine -- not to start it but just to push the glow plug out. I never had to try that.

Hope that helps. Go to my thread - I am looking for some ideas as to why the glow plug relay can spoil all 8 glow plugs.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,745 Posts
The stock GP installed by factory are known to swell. It was ACDelco 9G or 11G. I am not sure on the year of your truck but they are very old. A lot of people are not watching their GP condition.

The new one such as ACDelco 60G and Bosch Duraterms are not prone to swelling. Note that other brand of GP like Autolite, other ACDelco part no. are also prone to swelling. The WAP, InstantHeat, FastHeat (all by Wellman) are not long lasting.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Solution?

Try this: Put your injector back in the cylinder, then pull the GP until it's tight against the opening and crank your motor for a couple of revolutions. The compression should cause it to shoot out of your cylinder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts