Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

2003 GMC Savanna 3500 cube van 6.5 TD.

I went to remove the glow plugs and the tips broke inside (shown in picture).

I used PB Blaster first. Thought everything was going fine, until I took out the glow plug and looked at it.

What do I do now? I haven't cranked it, as I read that it could damage the engine. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I applied PB blaster and used a ratchet. There was really no problem in taking them out, after the threads were out. No struggle at all. Came out really easily. I thought everything was going pretty good, until I looked at the ends. The tips do look really black and burnt. I think those glow plugs have been in there for a long time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Put new ones in and run it! They look burned off,not broke.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I put new ones and the old ones and the old ones have not burned off, would not that ruin the engine. Another thing, when the plugs start burning up, doesn't that go into combustion chamber and cause damage.

·
Administrator
15,705 Posts
If I put new ones and the old ones and the old ones have not burned off, would not that ruin the engine. Another thing, when the plugs start burning up, doesn't that go into combustion chamber and cause damage.
You can take a borescope and have a look around in the chamber for peace of mind but by the looks of those old plugs and the neglected maintenance, the tips broke down and are long gone..

The usual tell-tale sign of glow plugs that look like that is the previous owner used ether (starting fluid) which will cause premature combustion and damage the glow plugs and eventually damage the internals of the motor if continually used.
I would just install the fresh glows and go from there

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies so far. These are the ones closest to the back of the engine (left and right). I think I can access 3 and 7 from the inside of the cube van compartment. For 1, 2 and 5 and 6, I believe I have to raise van, take off the tire and access it from there. I am planning on replacing all of them.

Would I use the borescope by removing the injectors and looking through that hole or the glow plugs hole? Any advice for changing the rest of them? Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,705 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. These are the ones closest to the back of the engine (left and right). I think I can access 3 and 7 from the inside of the cube van compartment. For 1, 2 and 5 and 6, I believe I have to raise van, take off the tire and access it from there. I am planning on replacing all of them.

Would I use the borescope by removing the injectors and looking through that hole or the glow plugs hole? Any advice for changing the rest of them? Thanks.
You can go through the glow plug hole with the borescope.
Removing the tire and inner wheel well will help give you the most room to access the glows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts