Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1994 K2500 Suburban 6.5 turbo.
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after My suburban is fully warm after an hours long drive on a 90 degrees day less than 5 minutes later I had to move it after shutting it down. I noticed the glow plug light ran a normal 15 to 20 second run time I could also hear the glow plug controller click on then off like normal. Everything else about the truck is normal and runs great. I checked it after several other drives and it always runs a normal glow time. Is this normal or should the glow time be much shorter or not at all when warm. Other diesels I have had never did this. Thanks

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,192 Posts
It should never preglow to 15-20 seconds as the factory glow time is maybe 4-6 seconds depending on coolant temperature.When the coolant is up to operating temperature the wait light should only turn on for a couple seconds and then go out.Maybe a controller glitch perhaps.Do you have another one to try?

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should never preglow to 15-20 seconds as the factory glow time is maybe 4-6 seconds depending on coolant temperature.When the coolant is up to operating temperature the wait light should only turn on for a couple seconds and then go out.Maybe a controller glitch perhaps.Do you have another one to try?
I will pick up a new one at the dealer and see. Just got home from work and timed it since its been parked for 3 days and I got 9 seconds glow time. It just seems strange that after its it good and warm it would request another long glow time minutes after shut down. If I just cycle the key, engine cold the light only comes on for a second after one normal cycle. I just do not remember the 6.2 and 4.3v6 ever doing this. Thank you.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,828 Posts
Try unplugging the Coolant Temp Sensor and see how long it glows for?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked and 9 seconds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try unplugging the Coolant Temp Sensor and see how long it glows for?
I would think the temp sensor would be ok as the cold high idle drops like normal during warm-up. Think I will pick up a new GP controller and a temperature sensor. Of course AC Delco at the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts