Diesel Place banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't know what genius decided to make these threads so small, or use non stainless :mad: At least put a boot on the damn things. Finding the right ring terminal, which supports the right wire gauge and stud gauge isn't easy.

I searched and didn't find good advice about this, so for anyone looking, if the 8mm nut turns, but doesn't come off, STOP immediately. Take a pair of long needle nose pliers, grab the end of the threads, and pull the entire thing straight out. This will leave you with a clean shot to the 12mm hex section.

If you are unfortunate enough to snap the ring terminal, like I did, I think it's a 12-14 gauge wire, with a size 8 stud. You might find heat shrink ones at Home Depot in the electrical department. If not, order them online. I'm also going to use adhesive lined heat shrink to support it.

Stainless flanged nuts are almost impossible to find. I will likely use a stainless nut and washer combination, which should also prevent the terminal from corroding onto the nut.

I like the SS idea but yea good luck finding them!! So did you just use a regular ss nut and lock washer? I was thinking of double nutting it to? Have to change #7, but just going to do the entire side while its apart.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I found them on Ebay but they were all over seas..... So I ended up using a SS flat washer-lSS ock washer- SS regular nut... Put never seize on and hoping for the best...
Overall was pretty simple job. The terminal nut broke off #7, but plug itself came right out. 1 and 5 came apart no problems. #3 felt like it wasn't going to break free so I left it alone before something bad happened..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.