Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice in the past two months my 1983 6.2 has left me stranded after extended drives (30 or 40 miles) in stop and go traffic. It may have occurred more often but I didn't know it because I parked for the night.

In each instance I stopped the truck for 10 or 15 minutes and then the truck refused to start, as though the glow plugs weren't working.

Last fall I installed new 60g's and did the manual bypass. When attempting to start above, I push the button and hear the relay click, but the engine cranks over without starting as though there's no glow. Next morning everything is fine.

Any push in the right direction would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
16,278 Posts
Next time you experience the issue try pouring a small bottle of room temp water on the IP. and attempt to start.
If it fires up then you have the signs of a tired Injection pump

Reactions: legendman

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Ya worn head and rotor in the IP will do that and the cold water contracts the housing so it can make enough pressure again to fire.

I would also chuck a cam if wd40 or Pam in your glove box, use it like ether....DON’T ever use ether... but take the air filter out first ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not jumping the gun, but does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy a quality IP?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
We have a go to guy at Badger Diesel, kr_services on eburp.

I would spring for a unit with a new head and rotor

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Could also be a bad lift pump. My truck runs a 6.5 electric lift pump and when that got weak the truck would run great, but if you shut it off you would have to crank for 5-10 seconds to get it to fire. Put a pump in it and all was good and hasn't been a problem since.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1 Posts
Badass Newbie here. Come to chime in.

90% of the time it is a heat or fuel issue.

you confirmed the glow plugs work by checking the wattage yes?
If so...

Did you replace fuel filters recently? Have you tried an electric pump?
Did you test fuel pressure?
Air in system can cause that problem. Could put 5 psi in the tank and see if any drips come out from fuel lines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next time you experience the issue try pouring a small bottle of room temp water on the IP. and attempt to start.
If it fires up then you have the signs of a tired Injection pump
Well, It did it again today, so I poured a cup of cold water over the IP and it started right up!

Thanks for all the advice!

Calling Badger Diesel about a new IP . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts