Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an 03 and says her glow plug light stays on. No matter how long you wait it will stay on. She said it starts fine, but wonders why it wont go off. The dealewr said its no problem, but it has to be something. Help?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All the views an d no answer?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If it continues to "cycle" it will eventually throw a SES .... I've heard of others that have left the key in the RUN position have throw a SES for instance ....
Ask them how long I should wait to start if it's not a problem ,ask for it in writing, to document ...

The problem with the THAT dealer addressing the issue is just that ,"No Code" No fix unfortunately .... If I were her I would continue to pursue the problem at another dealer ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The glow plugs should come on between 1 and 16 seconds and may stay on for a few seconds after starting a cold engine. If the light stays on it indicates a problem with the system. It could be a bad relay/controller, open wire(s) to glow plugs or bad glow plugs.

Also show them this quote from your Duramax Diesel Owner's Manual Supplement.

<H4>"Notice</H4>

If the WAIT TO START light stays on, it means that your vehicle could have one of several problems, so you should have it serviced right away."

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I sure appreciate it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's a stupid question from a 1st time diesel owner: What happens if you don't wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting the truck? What's the glow plug all about anyway? Sorry, that's 2 stupid questions...

·
Registered
448 Posts
LU10ANT said:
Here's a stupid question from a 1st time diesel owner: What happens if you don't wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting the truck? What's the glow plug all about anyway? Sorry, that's 2 stupid questions...

It won't start as easily, probably won't even notice it if it's not cold. Won't cause a problem if rarely done but may if it becomes a practice.

Diesel engines use the heat of compression to ignite the fuel, not spark plugs like a gas engine. A cold diesel may not have enough heat to ignite the fuel or run smoothly while cold, the glow plugs provide supplemental heat for starting and maybe for a short time during warm up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts