Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I seem to be having the problem with the Glow Plug indicator light staying on way too long. I know the fix is replacing the controller module, but my dealer is clueless about this "being a common problem". I find that a bit odd, since they are Michigan's highest volume selling dealer.

Anyway, I don't feel much like spending the $107 to fix it right now; I'd rather wait to see if it can happen on GM's dime.

Are the glow plugs still operating correctly? So, maybe I could count 5 seconds and start? I wonder if they are working correctly, because waiting until the light goes out doesn't seem to help the start a whole lot. It has been very cold here, but tomorrow we're headed to a warmer climate for a couple weeks.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
How cold? I noticed mine are on longer when it's below 20, and longer still below 0. Unless they are on for 5 minutes I would think its normal.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen mine on longer the 5 seconds and I've seen -40.

To the best of my knowledge the LLY glow plug controllers are not troublesome at all. There is no TSB that I could find.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Max Power;1595049; said:
I don't think I have ever seen mine on longer the 5 seconds and I've seen -40.

To the best of my knowledge the LLY glow plug controllers are not troublesome at all. There is no TSB that I could find.
I will second that. In the extreme cold (close to -40 here) mine will stay on for probably 5-7 seconds max.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
they did have them early on with some of the llys. they replaced the gpcm, one with a yellow dot, to one with a green dot. i seem to remember it late 04. 5 seconds is the longest it should stay on. problem is that some dealers want to think of the old diesels where they would stay on longer. the newer diesels don't stay on more than 5 seconds.

you may just need to check to see if you have the latest calibrations on your truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts