Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Excuse the newbe questions but I gotta start somewhere. I'll only have one per post to keep the aww jeez factor down among you vets here.

I just picked up an 86 F250 6.9 4speed manual 4x4 with 180k on the clock. Sweet truck well taken care of but IH dsls are new to me.

When I start the truck(starts easy) and it's running and I'm waithng for it to warm up up the glow plug light blinks on for a second then off for a couple then on etc.. It doesn't stay lit just blinks. On MB dsls if the light stays on after it's running it's a sign of a shorted glow plug. Is this blinking thing normal or a sign of something coming up that I need to get on top of? A bit later the light stays off and the truck runs fine here at about 35*F temp. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not being a ford guy i'm not positive on this. But my 86 GMC 6.2L has similar functionality. Basically once you start the glow plug circuit will cycle several times to "help" the engine after start up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you are familiar with the MB diesels, well when it comes to these forget it. They are not near as complicated.

That cycle is normal, it is called afterglow. It is to help the engine warm up and smooth out faster.

I think on the Mercedes, the plugs are still on after the light is off, you just don't know it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I finally got a set of used factory manuals today in the mail and it agrees with what ya both say. Thanks for the reply

1 - 4 of 4 Posts