Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard from my stealer. My 03 lb7 with 75k miles has 2 bad glow plugs. He said the controller was stuck in the on position and wasted the 2 plugs. They are going to replace all 8 plugs under warranty plus a $100 deductible. The controller costs $150 plus labor, why isn't this covered under warranty too?
The good news.....I get a free fuel filter!!!:muahaha:

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I was under the assumption that everything dealing with the motor was covered. But I guess that only applies to injectors. Might want to talk to them and see if they will warranty it since the controller is nothing that you could have done. Might see your side and just fix it.. Never know till you try..

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Try and check out your warranty book on page 20 (the one I have is for a 2004, but it shouldn't have changed). It states under the Ignition System that the Glow Plug controller is covered. Which should be covered under the emissions warranty or the 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. Take that to the dealer and see what they say. It is written in black and white.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got my truck back. Total cost $000!!! Thanks guys for your help. Of course I couldnt read my warranty, it was in the glove box of my truck. They called to tell me my truck was ready,I guess they realized they screwed up again, I couldnt understand why the controller wasnt covered. Sure feels good to walk out of that service dept. no lighter in the wallet.

Ahhhh.....time for a cold one!!!!:ro)

·
Registered
110 Posts
The glow plugs are an emission waranty item and they should not have charged you anything. I know this because I just had mine replaced and the dealer tried to charge me (actually he did charge me the $100 deductible) but I got on this wonderfull site and was informed that it was supposed to be free. Take a look in your waranty book and then show it to your dealer. If you paid then go get a FULL refund. STUPID, STUPID dealers:rules: :Nonono:

·
Registered
83 Posts
All glow plug parts are emissions parts. It is covered. My '03 had 70 some thousand on it when that happened. It was all covered.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just an FYI.

Just replaced my glow plug controller at 27,000 miles. Took the new one apart before I installed it. There are some manufacturing flaws with these units. The retainer nuts on all three power lugs were overtightened. They have lock washers, yet all the nuts rounded under the force of a 3/8 inch socket drive. Took a pair of Vise-Grips to get them off. This is metal against plastic...not good ...high probability of stress cracks and electrical leakage between terminals. Under the pop-off cover, there are two power relays with two plastic connectors. The whole compartment is loaded with grease. The grease is a low temp, petroleum based product. Last time I checked, petroleum based grease does not serve well for the long hall in contact with plastic or pvc wire insulation. To top it off, G.M. ran the control wires and reference wires in such a way that they are under strain and more suseptible
to heat than need be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glow plug controler

Did your truck not crank when warm? I have a 02 2500 hd and it cranks and runs fine untill it warms up to operating temp and then dies and will not start until the temp is below 180. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Did your truck not crank when warm? I have a 02 2500 hd and it cranks and runs fine untill it warms up to operating temp and then dies and will not start until the temp is below 180. Any ideas?
Are you running any kind of mods?
If not I would suspect injectors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you running any kind of mods?
If not I would suspect injectors.
No mods.
I bought the truck used from a dealership and my understanding they replaced the injectors before puting it on the lot. Had it about three months and now it will not run when it warms up. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts