Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of removing the glow plugs and controller from my lbz.
there are 8 wires running to the glow plugs, (now disconnected)
6 wires running to the grid heater, ( now disconnected)
I am now left with 5 wires, 3 pink and 2 tan wires(serial data).
can I cut these last 5 wires?
I know I will get glow plug DTC codes which I will remove with efilive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This follows on from the reply I just left re your gauge cluster! The two tan wires are the high speed LAN wires (not serial data which is low speed) if you cut them you could end up with all sorts of problems.

I'm guessing that you'll need to terminate them with a 120ohm resistor across the two wires (which gives 60ohms when testing the circuit) this acts like a plug at the end of the line.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can confirm or deny that???

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
This follows on from the reply I just left re your gauge cluster! The two tan wires are the high speed LAN wires (not serial data which is low speed) if you cut them you could end up with all sorts of problems.

I'm guessing that you'll need to terminate them with a 120ohm resistor across the two wires (which gives 60ohms when testing the circuit) this acts like a plug at the end of the line.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can confirm or deny that???
high speed GMLAN (a variation of CAN) is in fact a serial data bus....its not a parallel bus.....

ben

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does that mean that I can cut these wires and use efilive to disable the glowplug controller codes and I will be fine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
high speed GMLAN (a variation of CAN) is in fact a serial data bus....its not a parallel bus.....

ben
OK :) I guess I was trying to differentiating between the GMLAN and the 'Class 2' which is also called the serial data thing??

Am I right in saying you'll need to terminate the line if you disconnect the GPM?

I'm having a lot of trouble with what I think is a dead TCM causing the GPM to not 'appear' on the CAN network (along with the TCM not appearing) if I jumper the GMLAN wires at the 80 pin trans plug (with the TCM removed) the GPM appears (along with the ECM) Ben is there any other reason why the TCM would not appear on the network and also block the GPM from communicating?? VIN coding or anything like that??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.