Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so ive decided im just gonna bid my EGR completely farewell when I install the BD Supermax. Now... I could buy PPE's LLY EGRless intake manifold for 400 dollars...or couldnt I just adapt my stock intake manifold? Here are the pictures of what I was thinking of doing... Let me know what you guys think, if it will work, am I just completely nuts, etc...

--ben

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:exactly: thats why Im saving 400 dollars and NOT buying the stupid PPE manifold! :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
keep us posted. I would be willing to do it to the LBZ

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just want to remove teh EGR completely because McRat said fitting the BD is much easier with NO EGR in place.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Since you move a 9 million miles an hour, did you call and ask them if you could just buy the pieces that you need?

And also, I would make one solid plate instead of two, and the make a small support for it. Afterall the stock manifold is made to sit atop the EGR valve.

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahhh but I dont want to spend any money on the LLY intake manifold. I loooked at the pic of it, and its identical to the stock manifold, but just with no holes in the EGR places..

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is PPE's special no EGR manifold...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright good thanks KB!! I will just make two blocker plates...one for the bottom of the intake manifold and one for the exhaust riser...

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
Heck you can buy special "race" fuel rails too...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Heck you can buy special "race" fuel rails too...
i saw those race rails yesterday, and i thought to my self i wonder how they are better than the stock ones, other than they say race.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can only think of 3 problems you may encounter.
1) Without the EGR in place there would be no support for the blocker plate, unless you left that large tube (sorry I don't know what its called) in place. To overcome this you may want to get a thicker blocker plate or support the thinner one somehow to prevent leaks (PPE actually sells the thicker type plate with that kit or seperatly).
2) If running a finger stick IIRC you need to have the EGR plugged in. By removing it you may cause some kind of trouble with the finger stick overriding the codes. Better check with the creator.
3) The hoses into and out of said "large tube". I dont know what they are for, and imagine they can be spliced together. It looks like PPE's kit comes with some extra hose for just that purpose.

Let me know how this goes cause I was considering the PPE system as I would like to just ditch all the EGR stuff too.

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
The intake is held in place by the cast piece of the EGR system. If you remove it then high boost will blow the o-ringed elbow out. What I did when I put a wastegate in was just remove the silver tube the coolant runs in and block the other openings. I have plates for blocking the cast piece but the ones I have to block the exhaust have holes in them for a wastegate.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Nathen has got it right. You need to make a mount to hold the intake tube in place if you want to remove the EGR completely. It's not the piece your looking at but the next piece down that fits into the intake Y piece that will blow out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wait a second, engine coolant runs through that silver tube ? In a sleeve I assume. I wonder if this may somehow contibute to higher coolant temps. That tube gets pretty dang hot even with the egr blocked off just from heat transfer from the exhaust. I doubt it would solve any overheating issues, but it might help a little, I don't really like that my truck hovers around 205-210* on a normal day. Gonna have to seriously look into doing this mod, I bet a bracket can be fabricated easily enough to hold that elbow in place, will look at it this weekend.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Can you use 1/4 inch plate? That would definitely be strong enough.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
In defense of PPE, they have actually delivered LLY parts while others have just flapped their gums.

I'm taking a different tack. Stay tuned.

;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Coolant runs through the silver tube to cool the exhaust before it is allowed into the intake. The inside has about 6 tubes for the exhaust and coolant runs around them. If it wasn't cooled before entering the turbo it could melt the compressor wheel. It could cause higher coolant temps.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts