Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just got my new LBZ about 2 weeks ago. I am headed to the Dallas area to visit family this weekend. My brother in law has an 05 Tahoe Z71. It has the 5.3 I know he gonna try to race me (he always does) so I figure I might as well be prepared. I want him to see what the DMAX is made of. I can spin the tires from a stop if I punch it. So, the other night I thought I would try a boosted launch to see if it really took off. I brought it to 1200 RPM as my light was about to turn green. Once it turned green I let off the brake and pushed the skinny pedal to the floor. I just spun the tires up to about 45mph and had the truck sliding side to side for about 40 feet. I finally just backed out of it because it seemed like the tires weren't going to grab. So, I am trying to get some advice on the best way to launch. I don't want to lose just because I don't have much experience with it yet and just roast the tires. Maybe I am best of not boosting it and just hammer it when the light goes green. Any help would be great. I want to come home with a good kill so he can stop giving me crap about why buy a diesel. I want him to experience it first hand.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
good luck w/ a 2wd.

Try to feather the throttle off the line. If a stock LB7 duramax can take a 5.3 you can w/ a soft throttle off the line

Try to throw some weight in the rear...other than that Got Slicks?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did drop the tire pressure down a bit since Discount Tire aired them up so much I was losing about 1 1/2" of total rubber on the ground per tire with the wider tires on stock wheels. I may try another practice launch in the morning. I won't be seeing him until tomorrow night.

I was thinking that since his Tahoe will be in 2WD with about the same amount of rubber on the ground I should be able to take him if I can keep the tire spin to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You should leave him even if you just nail it !! I beat a Denali Yukon pretty bad with my HT on level 3(just a little more power than your truck stock)...........I got him bad taking off and kept pulling the entire 1/8th mile and the Denali has the 6.0 with 300+ hp !!

My wife has a 5.3 Yukon............you'll kill him !!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I second adding weight to the back. Go to home depot and buy 10 bags of gravel mix and stack them against the tailgait. That will help a lot. Then return the gravel mix after you've had your fun.

You'll definitely need to feather the throttle.

Airing down your rear tires will give you a greater contact patch=> more traction.

You should be able to take him without the extra weight or airing down.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
You should win that race handily.

I never have been able to spin my tires, boosted launch or not, even with the programmer. Too much traction, I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't sweat it, just roll into the throttle off the line...Then ask him how your tail lights looked at the end. You'll smoke him!:grd:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.