Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about how to get injector failure data from GM...

Everyone who has experienced injector failures in california write to Carb...

1. State that you own a diesel that should have a life of 300k miles and that emission system reliability on these systems should extend well beyond those for a gasoline powered automobile.

2. State that you experienced an injector failure that caused the engine to violate california emissions standards and federal emissions standards - those with multiple failures would have alot of weight here.

3. Request that CARB obtain data from GM in order to investigate, and if necessary ask GM to rectify the problem.

4. Wait a little while and then obtain the GM data from CARB and/or the EPA via the freedom of information act.

For everyone else outside of california , repeat the above, but write the EPA.

jeff

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sounds like a plan.

Can't help but wonder that if it puts CARB in motion on the diesel issue, what would happen to us? Would our efforts be rewarded w/mandatory annual/bi annual inspections in effort to obtain their own empirical data? Emission systems are already in place and to wave the red flag about our inefficient, defective engines in their faces ~ I'm just not sure I wanna open pandora's box and release the full unrestrained powers of a gov't agency in the wilds. I do know diesel is currently under intense scrutiny in CA as their efforts in the vehicle & manufacturing areas have not been as sucessfull as desired ~ to fan the flames? I'm just not sure it'll be the thing to do. Good thot however ~ and not dismissing it by no means but like a 3legged 'yote circling the bait ~ ~ cautiously considering. Psyching an individual is one thing but an hostile (to us owners) gov't agency? Hmmm - - I'll chew on that for a bit.

·
Registered
909 Posts
dmax lover said:
2. State that you experienced an injector failure that caused the engine to violate california emissions standards and federal emissions standards - those with multiple failures would have alot of weight here.

Sounds like an excellent idea. Are there state and federal emission standards for diesel pickups?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
It's a trap for us big HP smokers ....

Taking donations for after burner set-up ...

Mac

·
Registered
692 Posts
problem with oregon is the emissions are only 8600 lbs and lower. a duramax is not emissioned in oregon. you could complain but good luck.... a gas injector hepls regulate emissions yet are good for 3/36.....gas emissions are egr cat muffler o2s.. not much on a diesel to federal warranty...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here in oregon, I think mandatory emissions testing is only happening on trucks 8600 lbs and lower. I betcha I could drive up and have them test it and if it is belching smoke it wouldn't meet federal standards.

There are three warrantys that might apply with an injector issue...

1. Federal

This is 5 years and 100k miles.

2. GM

5 years, 100k miles, 3000 hours.

3. California.

7 years, 70k miles.

The Common rail fuel assy and diesel fuel injector assembly are specificially listed as parts covered under the emission control warranty - see page 18 of the "Warranty and Owner Assistance Information" handbook in the glovebox.

With an injector failure, I wouldn't think you would have to pay the $100 deductible outside of the 3/36 coverage as it is covered under the federal emissions warranty - (other things on the motor that are non-emission related would require the $100 deductible).

jeffEdited by: dmax lover

1 - 6 of 6 Posts