Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I rotated my tires and right after noticed a slight wobble in front. My GF dropped my truck off at a local shop to check it out. Told em what was wrong, Told them just rebalance the front tires. Called back, they rebalanced my tires, spun test the whole front end. I guess they have a machine they can hook up to the tire and spin the whole front end to see if theirs a wobble from something else

When rotating the tires I put my ranchos on setting number 2( cadillac ride, I mean soft soft ride) Yesterday I cranked my shocks down to a tight setting(firm 4 setting) Wobble is gone, except when turning the wheel, still almost invisible, but I know its their

Is it at all possible that I can get a wobble from the steering stabilizer? The wobble only happens when turning, Im out of options. My tires are about 1/2-2/3 worn.

What I did notice, Is these BFGs didnt balance out for crap new, or just when I had them redone, But they never wobbled.

Any Ideas?

Bill

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

Does it do it at low speeds or above 45/50 mph ??

if It was fine untill you rotated the tires gotta go back to tires ... Um start thinking possible bent rim Mr Agressive driver ...I'm sure you've popped a few,curbs ...

Mac

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I just ordered my second BFG replacement, due to wobble problems. Both on the right side. First one I paid the tire shop for and they sent it in for credit. I got the full purchase price back after about 4 weeks. We will see if it works a second time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am glad I found the Diesel Place and this thread! These are awesome trucks and I look forward to being along for the ride!

I have been fighting vibration in the rear ever since I installed BFG 265/75-16D AT KO's. The front torsion bars were cranked 6 turns drivers side and 4 turns passenger side and everything was aligned at the same time. I immediately got annoying rear wheel "hop" starting at 40 mph. I cut air pressure to 55 front/45 rear with marginal results. I put on Bilsteins thinking I had a shock issue. The ride got tighter, but the vibration continued.

When I went back in for a re-balance, my tire shop told me the rear wheels were bent (chrome steel stockers). I thought we had it! I found a killer deal on some PYO take offs and swapped out. No good, the vibration was still there. (Makes me wonder whether the original wheels were bent to begin with.) We have since spun the 2 tires that took more weight than the others 180 degrees on the rims, balanced again, and rotated front to back, but I am still getting the slight hop from the rear.

I still think it's tires and I have a bad tire or tires. I got a second tire shop opinion and they told me it was "harmonic" due to the "crowning" of the 265 tires on 6.5" rims. I am not buying that due to the number of folks running this setup. I think I am going to find somewhere to load balance or simply demand a new set next. I know that driveline, rotor, or wheel bearing issues can cause this, but that all visibly checks out.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated...

·
Registered
909 Posts
Cranking the torsion bars up throws off the front end alignment and that in turn monkeys-up front tire wear. Unless you rotated tires, I can't understand how that could make the back tires hop.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Guys, I work at a Goodyear store. What you need to make sure your tire store has a Road Force balancer, otherwise find one that does and take it there. Road force is what creates vibration. If they have a road force balancer, the balancer will tell them where to turn it on the wheel. And this crap about not balancing right, any good tech can balance a tire out fine. If the tire comes out heavy on the road force, usually above 60lbs your tire dealer that you bought them from should replace the tire for free. This is how it works at Goodyear, if the tire has too high of a road force it gets adjusted. The key is getting them balanced on a road force balancer.

·
Registered
663 Posts
White Duramax said:
...I work at a Goodyear store.... The key is getting them balanced on a road force balancer.

Very interesting...

Is "Road Force" a brand or type? Also can you tell by looking at the machine? Does it have any distinguishing features?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
600 Posts
When I took delivery of my '03, it had a vibration at about 40 mph. I turned right around and told the salesman and he gave me the keys to another D/A to compare. It test drove fine, so he had his guys swap off all 4 forged aluminum wheels and tires from the lot truck and replaced my 4. Everything has been fine since (EXCEPT for the poor soul who bought that other truck with the 40 mph vibration!)

Jim

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
A road force balancer, is a type of balancer. It usually has a screen or monitor. It will go through a couple of different stages with a tire, it applys force with a roller to the tire to measure road force. The balancer should be set on LT for our tires and the balancer should be preset to tell you if the road force is too high. You want to put the lowest number on the front with the Drivers front being most important. On my truck, i put new 285 Mud Dawgs on and my road forces #'s were from 12-41lbs, I have zero vibration even after roatating, which moved the heavier ones to the front.

·
Registered
663 Posts
White Duramax,

Thanks for the info on road force balancers!

Next time I have my tires balanced I'll be asking a few questions...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts