Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys gettin my new toy on FRI. I have a stock tranny stock exhaust (I think) (no cat) and K&N FIPK intake. Unfortunatly my guages won't be in until after the hollidays. What should I look out for? What level should I keep it at?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I wouldn't run it at all with out gauges. Maybe #2 if you had to, but no towing. You want to be able to watch your EGT's and boost at a minimum.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Level I or II you'll be fine, but as was said, no towing till ya get the gauges..BTW, which PPE tuner are you getting..?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the Standard... the one with 5 tunes. I talked to Dan at ppe and he said EGTs don't become a problem untill stage 4 or 5 which is also the same point you would want to worry about a stock tranny.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well, Dan would know best. Did he say you were good to tow at those levels?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Your right foot will determin what breaks, and what doesn't...:D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan said not to tow with it and if I did keep it on level 1 and keep my foot out of it. My opinion... DON'T TOW. What I wanted to know is what others are seeing as far as EGT temps in levels 1.2.3. that have a similar set up as mine.

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,490 Posts
your fine without guages up to level 3. I would put it on level 2 for stock transmission. You will only make 20 psi boost on 2 and 1200 deg max.

On level 3 you will make 26 psi and still 1200 degs .

your fine towing on 2 without gauges.

Been Running PPE hot tuner for 3 yrs, towing , racing , all tunes.
4 and above guages to see where your at recomended.

Gasuout

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So everyone thinks it will be ok to run level 3 without guages? I was thinking that I should probably use level 2 while I am on vacation in the smokey mountains. If I remember correctly the steepest grade over there is like 12% but most grades are long distance.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I'd stay on 2, just to be safe.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hammer do you say stay on level 2 because i don't have guages or because of a stock tranny?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't even think about altitude. Will alt. make it smoke more too? since the the air is less dense?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wait until you try level 2 before you make any decisions. You will be surprised how well the truck performs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The programmer should be here any time now and I will let all of you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help from everyone. And a Big Thanks to Dan over at PPE. I purchaced the programmer on Tuesday and got 3 day shipping because I am leaving on saturday. Well for some reason the item didn't ship out on their tuesday pick up with UPS so he sent it 2 day air for the same price!!! Thanks again
Justin

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it in and set it to level to and I am pretty impressed with the seat of the pants feel. I can't wait to get some guages and to a tranny rebuild cause if I am this impressed with it then it only makes me want to put lvl 5 on. Maybe I should let my wife hide the programmer from me. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts