Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know this until I talked to someone I work with. Before you pick up your truck call Firestone or Discount Tire and tell them you are picking up a new truck and want to do a tire upgrade. They'll give you a trade in value for your V-Steels. I called my local Firestone dealer today and am getting new Revo's with trade for $300.00 out the door!

Some good FYI................:cool2: :grd:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Almost any tire dealer will trade you out of tires. Some will give better deals than others, but new takeoffs have a value. I have done it every time I have gotten new trucks. I trade the stockers for upgrades.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Almost any tire dealer will trade you out of tires. Some will give better deals than others, but new takeoffs have a value. I have done it every time I have gotten new trucks. I trade the stockers for upgrades.

Wished I would have known that last summer.........:(

·
Registered
2005 GMC Yukon XL with Quadrasteer. LBZ conversion by Duraburb
284 Posts
My GMC dealer wouldn't go for it. I called my local Firestone dealer and he didn't go for it either. Wish I knew about Discount Tire. Can't say I didn't try.

-P.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
just resell them on here, many people including myself that will buy them.

They make good trailer tires.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Les Schwab does it.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The Bridgestone R265s that came on my Dmax have held up well. At 41K, I pulled them off and put them on our 'burb. They look like they should run 90K. They may be too small to look good, but seem to be a good wearing tire. I put steel sidewall commercial tires on the Dmax, they will do even better, like 140K.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Swapped out the Firestones for BFG ATs on my '03 and again on the '05 with the local tire shop right after I picked the trucks up. Both times he gave $75 a tire. He says that he has a ready market with fleet pickups like gas or elect companies.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its interesting how the tire shops only offer around $75 per tire for brand new take offs and when you want to buy the same tire from them it more like $200. Thats why i keep all my takeoffs and use them in the near future.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Something else you can do for guys who are ordering a new truck, is to order Special Equipment Option (SEO) 9L3. This deletes the spare tire (carrier and wheel remain) and gives you back a $45.00 credit.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not trying to be sarcastic, but, I think I would rather have the tire than only a $45.00 credit.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
not only that, but SEO's (special equipment options) are sometimes not accepted in VOMS, and if they are, can put a delay on the build of your truck...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Being the cheapskate I am, I am dutifully wearing out the last couple of 32nds on my Firestone Steeltex A/T tires. While they were not great, they were worth more than $45 each.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I tried both diso**** tire and a firestone dealer with 500 miles on the truck:

Discount would give me $70 a tire.
Firestone would give me $150 a tire, but it was still going to be $500 out the door for new tires with the trade in.

I just kept the stockers and went the H2 route. That way I can put them back on if I ever get refused warranty service (I have the 6yr GM extended on this one)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried it and was better off listing them in the local paper...i got 80 bucks apiece for 'em

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Just really depends on the dealer and if they have an outlet for your takeoffs. My dealer does business with all the businesses in town, and they all have fleet pickups that use these same tires, and he sells them one and two at a time as they hack up and blow them out, they want to match what they have. Anyway, it works if you find the right tire dealer. I have sold a set to a friend for his 2wd, but didn't come out as well as I did trading them. Oh well that is what you do for friends. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'll take the $60 apiece on the trade deal. Saves alot of hassle.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The dealer put on BFG 285's and threw the stock rubber in the bed.Came home and put them on my car hauler...:ro)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts