Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
George,

I read your recent article on dirty fuel and noticed that the VorMax filter system was mentioned. It looked interesting to me. I talked with Dallas at VorMax yesterday and he said that it was set up for a 10 Micron filter. It isn't currently adaptable to a Cat or Racor but he said he was going to ask the engineers if they could do so. In any event, do you have any opinion on the vortexing of diesel fuel? I have used similar systems to filter water drawn via a lake pump and they are quite effective there.

On edit: spoke with Dallas again today and he said the have a 2 micron filter for their system.

Thanks,

BobEdited by: Son of a gun

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Vormax mention was in the second section of the fuel article, which I did not write. No, I have no testing/real world experience with the Vormax. I have talked with the President of Vormax on the phone and offered to run 'before & after' fuel analysis to ascertain the effectiveness of the water removal of the unit but he never got back with me. I told him that to date there had not been one 'water separator' unit that had any affect whatever on entrained water in diesel fuel and was most anxious to see how the Vormax performed..

Again, no response.... So, I cannot share any information on the product..

George Morrison

·
Registered
540 Posts
Georgecls said:
I have talked with the President of Vormax on the phone and offered to run 'before & after' fuel analysis to ascertain the effectiveness of the water removal of the unit but he never got back with me. I told him that to date there had not been one 'water separator' unit that had any affect whatever on entrained water in diesel fuel and was most anxious to see how the Vormax performed..

Again, no response.... So, I cannot share any information on the product..

George Morrison

I think this speaks volumes about the product. If it worked well he should have jumped at the chance to have an independant tester verify it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
George,

Thanks for the input George. I am most interested in the vortex chamber and it's possible effects on the fuel's contaminants. What is the president's name? If I could get them to respond to testing would you still be willing to do some? I might buy a unit and you could test the fuel from my truck if you would give me instructions on how to do appropriate sampling. I agree with you on the water issue but the filters potential to trapp crud prior to filtration might be different.

Quality of the units looks good and I like the guage.

Thanks,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
George,

I have ordered 2 Vormax units and should have them next week. I plan to install one on my '04 and one on the '01 I recently sold to a friend of mine. If you would give me some insight into how to best capture the samples you need for testing I would be most interested in following up on your offer to do so.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ideally, depending on your setup, we need to capture the "after" samples dynamically as the Vormax separation works via dynamic throughput. Unless you have a lift pump in your system, that is going to be impossible. You need a clean/clean orifice to capture the sample after the Vormax at some point via the hand pump. We also need samples of your fuel before the Vormax or from your fuel source. Sample points will then depend on the Vormax mounting location..
Our goal is to get *clean*, representative samples before and after the Vortac..
Please e-mail me with your address for me to send the oil analysis bottles to..
Fantastic!! Most anxious to see how the results go..
George Morrison

·
Registered
448 Posts
George,

To keep from having to install a lift pump, could you just pressurize the fuel tank (low pressure of course) with shop air to obtain a sample?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Pressurizing the tank is a possibility. Can be messy, however, as I have seen the tank back flow out the opening, creating a significant mess. A team effort and definately offering the possibility of enabling the Vormax to be oeprational during sample capture..
Some have sampled with pressure successfully....
George MorrisonEdited by: Georgecls

·
Registered
266 Posts
Son of a gun,

Any updates on the Vormax filter? Did you get it installed? It sure looks like a quality unit. I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Darrell

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
How much does this unit cost? Seems to me the best idea would be to set one up in a "test bench" pumping fuel through the unit and testing before and after and then pumping contaminated fuel through the unit to test the "97% stopped before the filter" claim.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DmaxMo,

The units arrived on Wednesday. They only ship them with 10 micron filters though others are available. The supplier had to rustle up a couple of 2 mic filters. They are very well make, all welded aluminum. The guage is shielded and the fittings are first class. I can see why these guys have sold to the big rig industry for so long. To get any results we need to get them installed and with the holiday next week it may take a while. George has sent me sampling bottles so we'll get a good report from him once they are in and sampled. I am really facinated by the vortex chamber and am anxious to see if it really traps anything I can see. I know the filter would trap the stuff but I might be able to monitor my fuel source for dirt, water,etc. by viewing the spin-down bowl.

Tom,

The Units cost $260 including shipping, in line with others. It has the ability to be heated for those in extremely cold climates, won't need it in Texas. The bench idea has some merit but we feel the real test will be on the truck. I don't expect to have to remove it. The 2 micron filter should work on any unit including this one. I am told that there is enough pull on the fuel to make the guage read as the filter starts to fill with contaminants, we'll see about that too. I trust I won't need a lift pump, that too will make itself known.

We are going to make up a skid-plate mounting bracket (like I have seen posted here but can't remember by whom). The unit is 11" tall. I think we can get it mostly (or entirely) above the frame rail but I don't need road debris whacking the filter either.

I'll keep those interested posted as we proceed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts