Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what an injector costs for the new Bosch injection system? I'm asking out of curiosity as I've yet to hear of any being replaced and read a post on the Duramax side wondering what they cost and if they fail very often.

I know of one '03 with about 80,000 miles on it with no trouble and talked with a fellow that was over 110,000 and no problems. Just wondering if there is anywhere near the failure rate and cost as on the Duramax.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Over on the TDR site several members have had injector failure. Failed fairly quickly (within 10k miles). Most likely a manufacturing defect. Not sure on the replacement cost but I'm betting it's not cheap!

MikeyB

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mikeyb,

Asked that question on another site and two Cummins mechanics replied they have not had any replacements at their dealerships. Then they both spoke of aftermarket injectors that were quite a bit less than OEM.

Still don't know what one costs or what is involved in replacement.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I am curious what the differences are between the 2 systems since they are both Bosch Common rail. Is it that Dodge put more into the Filteration system, Different Injectors, etc,etc. I am hoping secondary filtration is what is needed on the D/A, but we won't know that until we have alot more miles racked up on these rigs.

I must say I had a new Cummins pull up next to me getting fuel, I was really impressed by how quiet the engine runs, all and all a nice package.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speedracer,

My Duramax had 160,000 on it when I traded for the new Cummins. I endured a lot and know a little about it. Now, each day I'm more impressed with this Cummins engine and the truck.

Servicing all filters is easier and cheaper with the Cummins. The components seem more rugged on both the engine and truck. There are fewer computer systems running things. You have a normal headlight switch. The tires are larger. The fuel tank is larger. Seating and inside room seems more comfortable. The truck is higher and far more rugged looking. The engine is simple-looking and quiet. Did I say it was quiet? Power is impressive for towing. Fuel economy is good. Controls and switches are easy to use. The fuel filler works without footwash. The paint doesn't chip easily. There is a huge aftermarket for supply, parts and repair. The driveline is now American Axle. Even the radio is easy to use with bass that is clear and loud. The longevity and reliability has a reputation unequal to any other.

The Duramax was a good truck for a while. When I bought it this new Dodge/Cummins did not exist. Since the '03 model year the Dodge/Cummins changes are dramatic and for the good. The Duramax is still suffering with a fast engine saddled with a half-assed fuel system, complicated computer control, obscene lack of dealer repair knowledge, obscene repair prices, questionable parts supply, complicated design, confusing controls ( find a 12 year-old computer geek to run the thing), expensive service parts, lots of plastic/fragile components ( AKA water drain and fuel filter vent screws),and a horrible repair/reliability record for those that are foolish to try to put high mileage on them.

To put high mileage on a Duramax you need lots of motel discount cards, restaurant discounts, bags with clean clothes for days, good shoes, bottled water and c-rations, AAA towing gold level with RV, extra cell phone batteries, lots of free time and most important....BRING TONS OF MONEY - CASH OR PLASTIC.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
captainmal,

I think most of us D/A owners that have followed these threads, are hoping the secondary filtering will extend the life span. That's why I am curious about the fuel system differences between Dodge and GM. I know the Common Rail system is fairly new to the Cummins, so are you concerned these Injector issues could pop up later on with Dodge?

I am hoping to keep this truck for the long haul, I understand GM has a Injector cleaning service you can done at the dealerships. But this all kind of seems after the fact, I still had to put on a Secondary filter, that should have come from the factory. I kind of like all the XM,OnStar, electronic goodies(of course I haven't had to work on them), but if I have to deal with what you went through, I'd be looking else where for a Diesel, Since Ford had a terrible first year, seems Dodge would be the only contender. But I got my fingers crossed the extra filtering is going to help.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Be careful captainmal..... you said all these great things when you got your Dmax. Maybe not everyone will have your troubles at high mileage and you don't know what's in store for you with your truck yet. I think we're all slowly learning to contain ourselves with these new designs. They're all great when they're new.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here you go captainmal, from Diesel Dynamics. Stage 1 injectors 50hp-$800, Stage 2 75hp-950, Stage 3 100hp-$1100.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Big P.

I doubt the $1100 charge is for new injectors. Just modified injectors that were used core turn-ins. Could be wrong.

Capt.

In the forum where you asked about the price for Bosch injectors for the Cummins, a person indicated that the price is $2400 for 6. Another indicated $4000 for 6 installed. That is substantially more that $200 a piece. This is fairly close to the price GM is charging.

Reference this link for clarification:

http://dieselram.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=29;t=000709

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I guess it makes the choice easy then, doesn't it?
I've been running DD injectors in my truck for over 30000 miles with no problems.Edited by: Big P

·
Registered
994 Posts
By the way, for the DMAX injector the GM part number is 97720661. This includes the injector, gasket and seals to install it. List price is $530.90. At GM-Parts Direct it is:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=567>
<T>
<TR background="images/trans.gif">
<TD class=reg vAlign=bottom>GM PART # 97720661
CATEGORY: Fuel Injector
PACK QTY: 1</TD>
<TD class=reg vAlign=bottom>CORE CHARGE: $100.00
GM LIST: $530.90
OUR PRICE: $265.45</TD>
<TD align=right><!--< name="p97720661" ="text" value="1" size="2" maxlength="3">
< ="" name="parts" value="97720661">--></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top background="images/trans.gif">
<TD class=reg colSpan=3>

DESCRIPTION: INJ REM K

Lets go Dodge fans, get the part number, call the dealer, get it priced. Then find an on-line source (for new Dodge parts) and find what they want.

The DMAX injector price window is $530.90 to $265.45.

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
398 Posts
OC_DMAX said:
By the way, for the DMAX injector the GM part number is 97720661. This includes the injector, gasket and seals to install it. List price is $530.90. At GM-Parts Direct it is:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=567><T>
<T>
<TR background="images/trans.gif">
<TD class=reg vAlign=bottom>GM PART # 97720661
CATEGORY: Fuel Injector
PACK QTY: 1</TD>
<TD class=reg vAlign=bottom>CORE CHARGE: $100.00
GM LIST: $530.90
OUR PRICE: $265.45</TD>
<TD align=right><!--< name="p97720661" ="text" value="1" size="2" maxlength="3">
< ="" name="parts" value="97720661">--></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top background="images/trans.gif">
<TD class=reg colSpan=3>

DESCRIPTION: INJ REM K

Lets go Dodge fans, get the part number, call the dealer, get it priced. Then find an on-line source (for new Dodge parts) and find what they want.

The DMAX injector price window is $530.90 to $265.45.

</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Wonder if these are new injectors?

Only time I've dealt with A core charge on anything is when the part is going to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
994 Posts
These are new injectors. According to several here, Bosch is not remanufacturing injectors at this time. They are collecting the cores though. The speculation is they want to get them off the market. When GM techs like Dmaxallitech and others replace injectors they are marked "reman" but in reality they are new.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What do you think the "REM" in the descriptions stands for? It's not remote or remember to buy milk......

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ask the techs here at the Place if the injectors that come in the packages marked REM are new or re-manufactured.

The answer will be new.

Still looking for an answer to Capt Mal's original question. How much for new injectors for a 2003 or later Dodge.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been out on the road for more than a week. Only smiles to report. I DO remember Hoot, that the Duramax DID give me 117,000 trouble- free miles. I WILL continue to remember that and never deny it. Also know that one truck does not make a fleet so what happened to me and what might happen to my new one might not be typical. BUT - From what I read and who I talk with it just MAY be typical.

Got an injector from GM parts direct. Swear it was remanufactured but so what? It worked....at least it was working when I got rid of the truck.

BigP's prices probably make sense at appx. $135 each. Rarely do people pay dealer price anyway and rarely do people have their engines fixed at a dealer, paying those outrageous shop prices. There are Cummins shops everywhere and many independants to work on that engine.

Now let's see.....who, besides a dealer, will work on a Duramax?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Does Dodge honor warranty work done at all Cummins shops?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hoot,

That answer, as intrepreted by me, was a "yes" up to sometime last year. Now they no longer do or honor warranty work at the Cummins shops. Dodge dealers only. I heard the reasons but do not remember the answers.

From what I can tell there is not much engine work being done on the Cummins. There must be very few failures and few people getting engine work done. I did hear of a failure due to a Fram filter coming apart and plugging oil passeges. Most problems I hear of involve lift pumps (cheap) and the older 47RE transmissions. Most of these seem to occur after warranty is over and people go to Cummins or independant shops.

Another interesting thing, as I interpret it, is that injector problems rarely happen. People do change their injectors for more performance. As a result almost all injector replacements are done as a set of 6. Many do it themselves so it must not be that hard. There is a strange lack of concern and knowledge about the Cummins among most owners I speak with. Yet, there is also a lot of pride. People talk more of the engine and little about the truck. Have not figured it out and I am not comfortable with the Cummins crowd, yet.

Cummins and Sterling shops here in Tampa sell Fleetguard oil filters for just over $6 and fuel filters for about $13. Easy availibility, rugged and simple construction are all nice to experience. Now I have to get out and deal with that plastic fuel tank mess but the trout are calling me on Tampa Bay.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wickedsprint,

Hope you were smart and did not move away. I'm a snowbird with houses here and in Pa. Fishing Big Bend power plant for shark. Truck sits at Shell Point Marina or the house when I ride a motorcycle. My boathouse is only good for smaller boats.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts