Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 99 K2500 Suburban, 230,xxx miles. When I purchased it, it had a grease car system on it. It would idle sporadically, lose fuel going down the highway, and die occasionally.
It would way up the boost to make up for no fuel. It had already had a PMD relocated to the front bumper on a heat sync. It was old and cracked. I replaced it.
The factory lift pump was replaced by the raptor lift pump on the grease car system. All the heat exchanges etc. Were also removed. The new raptor is staying around 14 psi at the pump on the frame under the truck.
The truck had a cooling mist water injection system as well that I finished hooking up. It ran perfect, for a day. Then, after extended idling, it started to stumble then eventually die.
I would have to hurry and get it going or it would just keep dying/not idling, but once on the road it was fine. I think I am gonna bite the bullet, get a new injection pump with the new heavy duty wiring, new PMD relocated kit (to inside the airbox), and reman or new injectors with the install kit and glow plugs and new glow plug harness.
Should I also order new injector lines as well? What brands should I get? The glow plugs were all supposed to have been done recently except the one by the downpipe, but I figured mine as well.
When I start it sometimes the glow plug light will come back on for half a second, voltage will drop way down, then the light will go off and voltage will go back up. Then it will repeat, about 4 or 5 cycles then stop and run normal.
I will either be adding a water to air intercooler, or another water pump to go with the one I have and the 5 gallon tank, or both. What do you guys think?
If I do a water to air, can I just put the radiator and fan under the truck somewhere between the rails drawing air up from the ground?
I would need a short upper intake with a 90, preferably with all the ds4 ports and water ports already drilled in, any suggestions for that?
I am either getting the super 60 at 20 PSI or the PT Wiring Solutions hx40 at 16 PSI. Is this safe without head studs?
When/if the motor does finally go, I will be going marine 18.1, so I am wanting room to grow with my set-up initially. Any and all thoughts and advice are welcome.
Transmission is fresh rebuilt 4L80E with heavy duty torque converter. I will probably be getting a quadstar towing tune, with the adjustable fuel knob from a-1 customs. Would it be possible to keep the factory vacuum pump and wastegate with either of those turbos, that way I would also be able to use a-1 customs boost controller from in cab too, not just fuel controller?
Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
21,786 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

Reactions: jeremydavenport86

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,373 Posts
I strongly suggest to read the FAQ about "a1-custom"? or search it.
Before doing anything else.

·
Administrator
21,786 Posts
I strongly suggest to read the FAQ about "a1-custom"? or search it.
Before doing anything else.
X2^^ A1 Customs is a well-known ripoff artist. There are many threads on this topic

·
Administrator
21,786 Posts

·
Administrator
21,786 Posts
Thank you! I love this truck and can't wait to have her the way I want her.
If you are new to the 6.5L platform I highly recommend some reading to help get you familiar with the engine

All of the goto information you might need is listed in our 6.5L FAQ page Info: - The 6.5L FAQ's... The Master List of...
(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are new to the 6.5L platform I highly recommend some reading to help get you familiar with the engine

All of the goto information you might need is listed in our 6.5L FAQ page Info: - The 6.5L FAQ's... The Master List of...
(y)
I have read and versed myself a good bit. I know my year model doesn't need all the cooling upgrades even though I have a metal fan already. I was really looking for more personal experiences and insights into parts and manufacturers and it's there anything you would do different again etc.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,373 Posts
Ok, does it not work as advertised?

Post #3, 2nd item under letter "A", have all the link on A-1.
We also call it Steak Sauce, he also have a lot of alias when posting on forums.
In reality is he is advertising to make an adjuster on something that is NOT adjustable. LOL!!!
My suggestion is to stop using Google for this truck and use the FAQ list above for your information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I have a PT Wiring solutions HX 40, quadstar upper intake and tune, new Bosch injectors, Stanadyne injection pump, glow plugs, glow plug harness and controller, and fuel injector return lines ok the way. I will put up some pictures soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.