Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a truck. I want to tandem pull my pop-up and fishing boat, provided the the two trailers can be pulled safely. I was only considering a 6.0L or 8.1L gas V-8, but found a pretty good deal on an '02 Duramax.

I would like to know a little bit more about the operating maintenece of the Duramax, i.e., oil-change intervals, fuel filter-change intervals, average fuel economy with and without trailers, etc.

Can anybody give me a felling for the Duramax? How does the Duramax rate against the Ford and Dodge diesels? :help:

·
Registered
31,525 Posts
Hi Tim and welcome. I don't think you will get any unbiased opinions about Dmax VS Ford or Dodge, but there has been many threads about your other questions. Go to the Dmax first generation forum and so a search and ask questions. I think you will find plenty of help there. Good luck.;)

·
Banned
735 Posts
How does the Duramax rate against the Ford and Dodge diesels? :help:
I'm sure your gonna get a very UNbiased opinion here!!):h My DMax has been a trooper for me. 103K and she runs like a top and has the same power she had at 30K. Dmax or Bust!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I want to tandem pull my pop-up and fishing boat:badidea: , provided the the two trailers can be pulled safely.
In my state the law is you can only tandem pull a boat behind a 5th wheel trailer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to look into that...

Thanks toytech, I'll have to look into that. I think here in Colorado there aren't any restricti0ons on tandem pulling with pop-ups, but I better make sure.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Tim, I live in Colorado also and you can only pull it behind a 5th wheel as they consider it part of the truck and you are not able to pull from a ball hitch but one item, either the boat or the trailer. NOT both

Phillip
03 DA
I LUV my truck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I guess that answers it; I'll just be pulling one toy at a time. Unless I go out and buy a fifth wheel next ;-)

·
Registered
5,108 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Welcome Tim! We see all brands of trucks in our shop. The only engine I advise people to stay away from is the 6.0L because it has a really bad track record. It is worse in the 03 and 04 years than the 05 and 06. The Cummins engine is great and the truck it comes in is a really good work truck. If you are looking for comfort though, the Duramax trucks are the only choice. I feel that GM targeted the boomers out there that want comfort, low step in height, and power to pull the fifth wheel anywhere. As with anything stock is fine, but more power is always attractive. You can modify a Duramax to give you amazing power and durability. But I warn you, if you spend much time in places like this it tends to give you a performance virus and the treatments are expensive. My office is always open for those afflicted with the bug!:D Seriously, feel free to call me with any questions you have.:exactly:

Mark

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I'm in the market for a truck. I want to tandem pull my pop-up and fishing boat, provided the the two trailers can be pulled safely. I was only considering a 6.0L or 8.1L gas V-8, but found a pretty good deal on an '02 Duramax.

I would like to know a little bit more about the operating maintenece of the Duramax, i.e., oil-change intervals, fuel filter-change intervals, average fuel economy with and without trailers, etc.

Can anybody give me a felling for the Duramax? How does the Duramax rate against the Ford and Dodge diesels? :help:
You can get a good idea about maintenance schedule here.
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33348

At this point, I will only consider the GMC or Chevy trucks. I believe the Chevy and GMC trucks equipped with the Duramax Diesel and the Allison transmission are more reliable, have a more comfortable ride and look a lot better than Ford or Dodge diesel trucks. The 2006 LBZ engine available with the Allison 6-spd transmission is a class leader in horsepower and torque (360 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque). But then, you could say I'm biased.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
In a 3/4 ton 4x4 expect 12-14 MPG highway for a small block gasser, a little less for a big block empty on the highway. For a Diesel expect about 20 MPG if you stay under 70 MPH empty Highway. Towing, knock off 5 MPG diesel, and 3 to 5 on a gasser. Fuel filter every 15,000 miles costs $35 if you do your own maintenance, $100 at a dealer. Oil and filter takes 10 quarts, every 7000 or so if you go by the DIC. Allison transfilter (spin on) costs $10 and do every 25,000 miles, no other maintenance required on the tranny.

Only watch out on the diesels has been injector failures which are very expensive. A 2002 is warrantied for 7 years and 200,000 miles on injector failures though.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Regarding fuel mileage, I just bought an 02 DMax, CC, 4x4, w/ 28k miles on it. Ran the first tank of fuel thru it and hand calculated 18.0 mpg. This is empty driving, mixed city and hiway, not cold enough to run blended fuel.
Mostly easy driving, but since the truck is new to me, I probably put my foot into it more than usual, just 'cause I can.
My other truck, Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4, 5.9l gasser, gets avg 11.5 to 12.5 mpg. Even w/ diesel being more expensive, I am running $.05/mile cheaper on fuel w/ the DMAX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts