Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a few simple questions.

1. What is the normal operating temperature for a Duramax on the temp gauge on the dash? Mine runs between 180-210 and fluctuates quite a bit.

2. It is kind of hard to take it out of park into reverse and then to drive and vice versa, etc. Is this normal? Feels like it is sticking or something, may be because truck only has 500 miles on it, but just curious.

3. You guys talk about juice and stuff, can you run a programmer (Diablo or Hypertech etc) and juice? And can someone explain what juice is? Nice to have a truck on steroids.

4. Where can I get the nice pod of gauges I see that some of you have in your trucks and are they easy to hook up?

Thanks in advance for all the replies this topic gets, just trying to get use to driving a diesel.Edited by: GMC2500HD

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Mine is new 10k miles and it seems to run cold. Its always at 180. Hot days with ac on it goes to middle (200?). The park lever was real stiff for the 1st 4k miles. Its getting looser now. But its still much more then my 1500 silverado was.

All sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Houston...

1. Mine stays pretty steady on 190 and hardly ever varies (pulling 14K it sometimes goes to 200, but never any higher.)

3. "Juice" is the Edge Juice Module...comes in regular -up to 90 hp- and "Hot" - 120 I think. It is another ECM that works with your regular ECM and TCM. It's an easy 5 to 10 minute install. You can get the Attitude guage package, but that's a bit more involved. It will give you much of the info of the guages in Q. #4. You can stack the other programmers with the juice, but you'd better have some big bucks for tranny upgrades.

4. Kennedy Diesel, among a BUNCH of other places. There are "how to" articles here on the forum.Edited by: jbh2000

·
Registered
276 Posts
jbh2000 said:
1. Mine stays pretty steady on 190 and hardly ever varies (pulling 14K it sometimes goes to 200, but never any higher.)

That's exactly the same way that mine acts...

cadman_ksEdited by: CADman_ks

·
Registered
490 Posts
Those temp guages are not very accurate. My wifes Blazer reads around 160, but plugging in the OBDII interface and reading it on the computer shows 182-185. I tried it in my DMAX and it reads a little low too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=bold width="20%" background="" bgColor=#f8f7ef><A name=28777></A>GMC2500HD</TD>
<TD class=smText width="80%" background="" bgColor=#f8f7ef>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=smText noWrap>Posted: 10 December 2003 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | Report Post </TD>
<TD align=right width="100%"></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD class=smText vAlign=top width="20%" bgColor=#fefefc></TD>
<TD class=text vAlign=top background="" bgColor=#fefefc>

Same here GMC2500HD. The first time I tried to take mine out of park I thought I was going to break the thing. It has gotten easier with time (1700 miles) but still feels too tight to me.

Also my temp gage sounds just like yours. 180-210 or so and all over the place. Never stays in one place.

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
1. What is the normal operating temperature for a Duramax on the temp gauge on the dash? Mine runs between 180-210 and fluctuates quite a bit.

Your with-in standard operating range .... You still are breaking in a green motor so higher then normal temps at given times may be present ....

2. It is kind of hard to take it out of park into reverse and then to drive and vice versa, etc. Is this normal? Feels like it is sticking or something, may be because truck only has 500 miles on it, but just curious.

New stuff is nice .....

3. You guys talk about juice and stuff, can you run a programmer (Diablo or Hypertech etc) and juice? And can someone explain what juice is? Nice to have a truck on steroids.

You could stack but it will not be long you'll be asking us about limping and zinging your new transmission ....Try a search you'll get varying opinions on boxes ....

4. Where can I get the nice pod of gauges I see that some of you have in your trucks and are they easy to hook up?

You can check out the Advertisers here ,or shop the internet for your desires .... There is a how to install gauges here ,and we're willing to help out ....Check out W/J They sell painted pods gauges and there on special ...

Have fun enjoy your new truck .....

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
81 Posts
Shifter will ease with time, My 04 when new was pretty stiff now with 6k its alot better,Temps look Fine,Get the Attitude and you have your Gauges plus some Steroids,I like mine stacked with the Predater.But Tranny Doesnt like it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My shifter felt stiff when I first got my truck (2004d/a) last week. I'm getting use to it, I just chalked it up to being new. I can't wait to get 500 miles on the truck so I can get a better feel for all that power. My 95 suburban TBI was a real dog compared to this duramax so far...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Didn't your truck come with a tape describing the funny sounds that come from the allison? The "park ball" or whatever it is called will hold some huge amount of weight on a hill. So they tell you to not be surprised if its a little hard to shift out of park or you get a loud clunk in the process...

jeff

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
It's called a park pawl.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There were times when it was real hard to get the truck out of Park, but I have found a way to make it easy every time.

Before putting the truck in Park, put it in Netural, apply the Parking Brake, then put it in Park.

Since I started doing this I haven't had any trouble getting it out of Park.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts