Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 GMC DMAX. It has almost 55K on it. I bought it with 50K on it. It has not been used for heavy towing. I have a 5th wheel, but only towed a few times...so no heavy usage by me or former owner. I just called the local dealer to have maintenance as recommended in owner's manual. It says at 50K (or is it 52K) to have the transmission oil changed. The guy I talked with at the dealer said, "...those Allison transmissions are hard to do...". He did not know how long it would take or how much it would cost. So, does this sound right? Is this an expensive propostion--changing transmission fluid? And is it necessary? I am getting a oil and filter change also. They will be putting in the new fuel filter--this is why I am going to the dealer--I usually go to a local station which does a fine job on my cars. I should say I bought this truck last May and it is my first diesel. This diesel thing is still new to me. I really really like the truck.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
You may want to find an autorized Allison service center in your area and have them change the Trans fluid since you are out of Warranty. The fuel filter is a spin on and can be changed fairly easily. You may want to buy the filter from GM or you can go to www.gmdieseltech.com and purchase it from one of this sites supporting vendors and do it yourself or have your other mechanic change it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You need to service the Ally period. The service is cheaper than $4,000 transmission. The best way is to find a good Synthic Trans Oil that meet specs and buy it and take it to a garage/dealership that has the ablity to FLUSH the transmission fluid and put a new external trans filter. You can buy serval good oil reasonable from vendors on this web site. Amoil, Schaffer's or my preference is Allison Transmission's Transynd. I have heard people say the flushing runs from $60 to $150 plus oil and filter($10 to $20).You will just have to price around. I have my external trans oil filter changed the first oil change on the truck, then every 15,000 miles. THE TRASMISSION'S LIFE IS COOL, CLEAN OIL.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I have my external trans oil filter changed the first oil change on the truck, then every 15,000 miles. THE TRASMISSION'S LIFE IS COOL, CLEAN OIL.
You might want to change it more often than that. Recommended by Mike L. is every 5K miles. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The guy I talked with at the dealer said, "...those Allison transmissions are hard to do...". He did not know how long it would take or how much it would cost. So, does this sound right? Is this an expensive propostion--changing transmission fluid? And is it necessary?
It's not hard to do - They should know the cost of a service - You should have it done & I strongly suggest finding someone other than this dealer to have it done. Good luck

FYI - Hey Kid - create a sig so all us experts can help you out with more expert advise! LOL -Lets just say we are "full of it" so to speak - welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Allison has a Service Information Letter (10-TR-99) available from its dealers that gives a good guideline on fluid and filter change intervals, depending upon duty cycles and type of fluid being used. Synthetic fuild life is pretty remarkable compared to non-synthetic and thus your change intervals can be extended significantly (probably beyond what most "traditional" people feel comfortable with).

Of course as several people have pointed out, you have to flush your factory Dexron before the benefits can begin.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Check this out: Allisontrans.com, also do some searches on fluid change for your Ally, I have yet to try this but there is a really easy way to flush her out yourself, some call this the "hoot" method. have heard this really works

1 - 7 of 7 Posts