Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the new general 4 yet and are will to give their opinions on it? I'm leaning heavily towards this utv, but I'm for sure waiting till spring in hopes they might offer more than one color. Thanks

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
I have the 2-door General Deluxe. It is a fantastic vehicle all around. Easily walks away from a Maverick 1000 and runs just a step behind a RZR1000XP in straight acceleration contests. I find its ride cloud-like and very plush. Handling is pretty good, with maybe a bit of 'twitchiness' when drifting around gravel road corners. The short wheelbase is surely the reason.

It's off road abilities are pretty awesome. The 4wd system works great, and now they offer Turf Mode, it won't tear up you yard (or you tires if you run a lot on pavement)

Any dislikes? Yeah... two to be exact. The power steering in both my buddies ranger 900 and his sons RZR 1000XP seem to be "stronger" than my Generals. I would much rather have more power steering boost. The other dislike is that the right side of the lower dashboard (where the ignition key is) has an angle (downward, towards the right) that my knee hits all the time. I am 6'4" and even with the seat all the way back, my knee is constantly hitting that angle. It's a stupid, useless "styling cue" that unnecessarily limits leg-room for taller people. Left knee has no such issue. You can see that angle in this picture (under the key).

If I could figure out a way to cut it off straight across and make it look factory, I'd do it with a quickness... Other than that one minor quibble, I find the interior stylish, comfortable and well thought out.

My understanding is that the 4 seater has excellent room in the back, but the smallish doors make getting in and out a bit of a challenge. I have not sat in one myself yet, that is just what I hear on the General Forum.

I'd give up hope on other color choices. Unlike the Rangers and the RZRs, Polaris has decided that each model in the General line gets one color. The Base model is Red. The Mid-Range is White (was blue in 2016) , the Deluxe is Titanium (was orange). The 4 is Silver, the Hunter Edition is Camo, and the new Ride Command edition is Titanium Matte/Lime green.

Tim

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, very helpful. They only offer one general 4, meaning there is no base model etc., so I'm hoping they will offer the different models in the 4 seater in the spring. My wife likes that color but Me not so much, we will see I guess. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Thanks for the reply, very helpful. They only offer one general 4, meaning there is no base model etc., so I'm hoping they will offer the different models in the 4 seater in the spring. My wife likes that color but Me not so much, we will see I guess. Thanks again.
The 4 IS a model. LOL. There are a couple guys that started offering wraps for the General. Some are gaudy as hell and fairly ridiculous, but I've seen one that was a nice deep metallic blue that looked good. Here's a pic of a red base model about halfway thru getting changed to blue.

Tim

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally pulled the trigger.

Attachments

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
16,230 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a general I would highly recommend the extended flare by Polaris, at $200 bucks they are worth it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts