Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my saga continues. I am inches from wanting to trade this thing off on a gasser now even though I hate them... Yesterday my dash cluster went kiddewompus.... The speedo now reads 130mph sitting still. Might be the only time my truck actually goes that fast! :D

Then to continue the gelling story, I bypassed the Cat filter because they were getting waxed constantly and hoped that by doing that it would fix the problem altogether. I thought it had til this morning, -21F outside, started fine. Took off, no more than 2000RPM and then it threw a code. I am sure that the factory filter is now waxed over. I don't understand this crap, I have I would say double the recommended Stanadyne in the tank plus 2x the recommended Power Service and it still plugs. I think I must be picking up some sort of scum out of my tank with this ULSD fuel or something else is majorly wrong. Seems I can make about 20 miles and then the filter is plugged.

I am really starting to get annoyed and the other half is even worse off since I have to keep taking her minivan. :mad: I think my truck is trying to tell me that I should have stayed in Chicago! :(

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
lots of people are having problems gelling so your not the only one. i had the same problem about a month ago, i ended up calling cenex and complaining. they sent me 200$ in gift certificates. but, i think this ulsd is definatly causing the problems. i would dump some #1 in the tank and some diesel 911 and see what happens

·
Registered
557 Posts
Try a little kero, truckers add some in the winter, I want to say about a 1-50 ratio. Check where you are getting fuel and make sure it's not bio, they don't always put it on the pump. There's been some discussion about the bio not doing well in the cold (so much for global warming).

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Maybe put a fuel heater on the Cat filter and see what happens.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, all diesel in MN has to have a minumum of 2% biodiesel. That is most likely what is causing the problem in my opinon. That and the ULSD seems to wax up filters faster from what I have heard and read.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I learned of this requirement tonight from the dealer. So now the question is, how do I work around this. The dealer told me to find some straight #1 for when it is this cold, well, that is not exactly easy to come by. He also said they have had several in for gelling and had to drop the tanks and completely clean them out. I guess maybe I need to do this as well.

Weird thing, I let the truck idle all day today and home and then when I got home we drove it into town to the dealer to get my dash cluster replaced. It ran perfectly all the way to town.

Curtis

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
curtisb;1591289; said:
Yea, I learned of this requirement tonight from the dealer. So now the question is, how do I work around this. The dealer told me to find some straight #1 for when it is this cold, well, that is not exactly easy to come by. He also said they have had several in for gelling and had to drop the tanks and completely clean them out. I guess maybe I need to do this as well.

Weird thing, I let the truck idle all day today and home and then when I got home we drove it into town to the dealer to get my dash cluster replaced. It ran perfectly all the way to town.

Curtis
It would be interesting to know if you all got your fuel from the same place. There has been some bad bio floating around.

Only thing I can think of as to why it ran better would be that the heat from running it all day however much that would be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
An old farmer trick is to mix a little gasoline in about a 1-30 ratio. It works everytime I need it to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bio Diesel?

I dont think it the bio diesel causing the gelling, I get diesel all the time with 20% Bio in it and not had a prob. I got down as far as -20, and still no prob.

·
Registered
77 Posts
oh i forgot, Try using How's Diesel treatment. I heard it works really well for gelling vehicals. I mix this stuff at work, all that really is in it is mainly fuel oil, and kerosine, and a few additives. You can find it at truck stops.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would make sure to try a different gas station for sure. I know it has been very cold in northwest Minnesota. I myself would let it run for at least 15 minutes before take off when it is that cold. those little extra things you do to help warm the engine up and the fuel heater should help. If we can make it through the next day it should start to warm up the way it sounds. I am on my third diesel and have only gelled once. Knock on wood. Every one would laugh when it was 30 below zero at work that I had a diesel. Funny thing of it was is when I pulled out of the parking lot their was about 5 hood up and they were not diesels. I would just wave and mosy down the road. They already had help or I would of helped them. I am not that mean. But the next day at work was always fun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
curtisb;1591289; said:

Curtis
My understanding is the the unused fuel returning to your tank helps heat the fuel in the tank. That one of the reasons the big trucks don’t shut down in the winter. Let it run and burn up the bad fuel you have in the tank.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I agree on the Howes. I buy it for 10 bucks a jug and it is no gelling or they pay the tow enough to treat from 125 to 750 gal depending on temp. It also acts a a lubricity additive in warm weather, something ULSD lacks greatly. I remember running in a diesel farm tractor we suspected was carboned up when I was a teenager and you could just tell a diff as it burnt that tank. It just gradually got more and more power and within a few hours it was back to its old self. Amazing stuff IMO.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It doesn't make much sense! My brother is having the same problems that you are but he doesn't have the secondary filter. He is also in MN. I am running straight number 2 with stanadyne and haven't had a problem since I stopped using ps. My brother is mixing heavy like you and is also getting the 2000 max situation but he is closer to the cities. I really think the bio has something to do with it because we don't have the mandate here. There was an article listed here on the dp someplace that mentioned the gel point of bio is pretty high compared to the regular #2 or ulsd #2. Not much you can do about it except change the filter, check to make sure your heater is working and change fuel sources.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The main ingredient in anti-gel is Stoddard Solvent. A minor ingredient is 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene and Naptha. The minor ingredients are usually at 5% and 90% Stoddard Solvent. Cross referencing the CAS# for Stoddard Solvent shows it to be the same chemical as Mineral Spirits. Hmmmmm.....

Oddly enough you can buy Parks Mineral Spirits Paint Thinner for about 5-7$ a gallon and it is 96.5% Stoddard Solvent and 3.5% 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene. A gal of naptha is about 7 bucks too.

Totally wierd thing is that paint thinners are actually filtered BETTER than diesel fuel additives. I guess painters actually get grumpy if there are chuncks of snit in the paint. Check it out (I am a small sample and could be wrong) -> next time you get down to the bottom of the bottle of additive filter it thru a paper towel or just look at what is in the bottom of the container.

http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/showfile.asp?id=3782
http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/showfile.asp?id=3783

Use this as you see fit.

jb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts