Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Silverado 2500, Duramax. With 12,000 miles. Today it was 10 below out. I left my truck out of the garage overnight. Didn't plug it in.
Today, I had a little trouble starting the truck. It started right up and stalled. After a few times cranking it over, it started, sputtrered a little and then idled fine. I let it warm up for about 15mins. Pulled out of my driveway, after about 15 feet I lost all power. I could hardly go 5 MPH and the SES light came on.
I limped it back to my house. Put her in park and reved the engine. It would not go over 2,000 rpm and ran poorly(missfiring). I park it in the garage an a couple hours later I went back out started it. Took it out again and now its running like normal. Temp outside it was -3 at the time.
I'm thinking it was gelled fuel?
I'm going to replace the fuel filter just incase The one thats on there only has 2500 miles on it.
What do you all think? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Gelled fuel is a strong possibility. But with only 2,500 miles on the fuel filter, I wouldn't bother changing it yet.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have a 2005 Silverado 2500, Duramax. With 12,000 miles. Today it was 10 below out. I left my truck out of the garage overnight. Didn't plug it in.
Today, I had a little trouble starting the truck. It started right up and stalled. After a few times cranking it over, it started, sputtrered a little and then idled fine. I let it warm up for about 15mins. Pulled out of my driveway, after about 15 feet I lost all power. I could hardly go 5 MPH and the SES light came on.
I limped it back to my house. Put her in park and reved the engine. It would not go over 2,000 rpm and ran poorly(missfiring). I park it in the garage an a couple hours later I went back out started it. Took it out again and now its running like normal. Temp outside it was -3 at the time.
I'm thinking it was gelled fuel?
I'm going to replace the fuel filter just incase The one thats on there only has 2500 miles on it.
From what you describe, I would vote for the gelled fuel. I don't think that it would help to change the fuel filter. I do think that you should add some anti gel additive such as Power Service. With temperatures as low as you say, I think that I would be adding some anti gell additive until it gets substantially warmer.

If you are caught away from home, removing the filter and pouring out some fuel, adding Power Service and then putting the filter back on along with adding some to the fuel tank will usually get you running.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had/am having a similiar problem today. Filled the tank this morning and as usual added about half a bottle of additive. Later in the afternoon the truck would start and run fine up to about 2000rpm then lost all power and acted starved for fuel. I limped it home and opened the drain plug on the fuel filter and barely a trickle of fuel ran out. Pulled the filter and brought it inside to warm up and added some 911 to it and put a full bottle in the tank. Now it will rev up to 3000rpm just sitting in park but driving under load it still acts starved for fuel. The SES light is on. How long does it take for the fuel to reliquify? Could it be anything else? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Forgot to mention that the truck has just over 13,000 miles on it and the fuel filter has about 2500.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Why don't you add Diesel Kleen it's a anti gel additive or some other brand;) ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
sounds like your heated fuel filter is not working

·
Registered
20 Posts
Funny, i had a simular thing happen the other day. I had just drove about 100 miles on the highway in cold weather and exited off the highway. When i pulled away from the toll booth my duramax started stumbling, so i shifted to neutral and tryed to rev it. It would go to 2000rpm and stay their with my foot on the floor. I pulled over and park to wait for a friend. Started it up 10 minutes later, everything was fine.

·
Registered
735 Posts
i was at work that morning we had some trucks that had gelled fuel just put in an additive let it sit remove the filter and add a little additive to filter or if you have a turbo heater blow that under the truck to warm fuel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep, You're gelled up. What fuel are you running? #2, Blend? (Wintermaster) ...... Probably not #1.........

I was running Cenex Wintermaster the other day, with Stanadyne Performance Formula, and gelled up also. (It was also 35 below zero, plus windchill) Go caught with a full tank of fuel..... Couldn't get any #1 in the tank.....

Same symptoms, chugging, low rpms, rough running.... the SES light is for low fuel pressure.

You'll need to change the filter, and then add a couple of bottles of Power Service 911 to the fuel tank (double strength), and then top it off with #1. I'd use #1 for anything below zero, and blends above zero, all with additives such as Stanadyne or Power Service. (especially with #1, you'll need the lube) You'll also need to clear the SES code.

When it gets to 35 below zero, or lower, it gets really tough to keep the trucks running.......... At 50 below (plus windchill) we just keep the trucks running..........

Just a thought from North Central North Dakota............. We know cold.... (unfortuneate fact of life)

Chevymax

·
Registered
320 Posts
How can you tell the difference between #1 and #2? I'm up in NH and never see any pump differentiate between the two types. I always fill up at the local truck stop (major truck stop) and all it says is "diesel" on the pumps. On top of that, I've yet to see any diesel pump state what type of diesel it was besides saying "diesel".

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Unfortunately, the pumps are'nt marked.You have to ask somebody knowledgeable at the station--usually the owner--very frustrating.My .02 says use Howes Lubricator--great stuff--can find it at all truckstops.

·
Registered
874 Posts
LOL @ the wisconsin guys.

I was just up that way this past weekend to visit my parents (Green Bay), and once I hit Fond du Lac, my truck popped a 1093. I fired up my laptop to clear the code, and it popped up again, and again, and again. I had a half bottle of PowerService in it, and according to EFI Live, the fuel temp was 111*F. I've only got 4000 miles on my filter, but she was gelling up on me. Let it sit in my dad's garage overnight, and then put a little #1 in it, and it was fine.

Friggin COLD up there though. -14*F with a -30 windchill....brrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My friend Rob's dad had the same problem this weekend. He called and was asking how the change the filter. Thanks to the info on this site, I was able to help him over the phone! :cool2:

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Exactly the same thing my truck did! My Predator also said fuel temp was around 100 degrees, but I don't think that means much.

Man, we had nearly identical conditions--Power Service, same time on fuel filters, same symptoms.

I don't know about you, but I'm done with Power Service. I feel bad that I used to tell everybody that it was OK, but I really think it let me down this time.

I even added some of their "Arctic Express" that they claim equals a 50/50 blend--my ***!!

I gave away the Power Service I had left over this morning.

LOL @ the wisconsin guys.

I was just up that way this past weekend to visit my parents (Green Bay), and once I hit Fond du Lac, my truck popped a 1093. I fired up my laptop to clear the code, and it popped up again, and again, and again. I had a half bottle of PowerService in it, and according to EFI Live, the fuel temp was 111*F. I've only got 4000 miles on my filter, but she was gelling up on me. Let it sit in my dad's garage overnight, and then put a little #1 in it, and it was fine.

Friggin COLD up there though. -14*F with a -30 windchill....brrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Exactly the same thing my truck did! My Predator also said fuel temp was around 100 degrees, but I don't think that means much.

Man, we had nearly identical conditions--Power Service, same time on fuel filters, same symptoms.

I don't know about you, but I'm done with Power Service. I feel bad that I used to tell everybody that it was OK, but I really think it let me down this time.

I even added some of their "Arctic Express" that they claim equals a 50/50 blend--my ***!!

I gave away the Power Service I had left over this morning.
Yeah, PowerService is nothing but a waste of money...my buddy who NEVER runs an additive in his truck has fewer problems than I do...-:t

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Does anyone know where the fuel temperature sensor exactly is???

Could it be that water at the bottom of the fuel filters...is freezing up?

So maybe a preventative action would be to routinely drain the filter drain during cold weather??

I have a CAT pre OEM and what I have been doing is taking it off and pouring it out. The top half looks clear but the stuff near the bottom is cloudy. I then refill with diesel and reinstall.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The fuel temp sensor is on the return from the engine. It is not a good indicator of what the tank or supply line temp is. The fuel heater in the filter is better than nothing, but it wil certainly not have an instantanious effect. While my trucks are spoiled resting inside at 62°f with floor heat my fuel storage is outside.

Here's a snip of mine from another thread:

I know this will sound like a broken record, but FPPF Total Power in an overtreat ratio is what I run. I have a 550 gallon storage tank outside and in the wind tunnel between buildings. I put 30 gallons of B100 in it which promptly turned to pudding. I then added 500 gallons of Amoco Premier #2 NON winterized. To this I added FPPF Total Power in a 2x ratio and a bottle of the FPPF B20 to help with the bio. This fuel flows from my delivery pump w/o issue after a -20f night with NASTY wind chill so it had to be at -20F. I put a sample in a glass measuring cup and left outside overnight (should have been in a closed jar) the next night at -12°f and in the morning it was just a bit cloudy. The fuel heater and return fuel would have easily covered this. The cloudiness could well have been due to the Bio...

Looks like we may have sub zero temps next weekend and I hope to try again with a lid on to keep out the frost and moisture...

P.S. FPPF Melt Down will reliquify most anything gelled. I will not add Heet (methanol) to ANYTHING gas or diesel nor will I use Power Service or Howes products. The worst filter I have ever seen (rust inside) was from a Howes (now a converted FPPF user) user and had 12k on the filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use Cenpeco. It has worked well here in upstate NY.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dam you guys!!!! I JUST used the last of my FPPF total power. Censored Was going to go with PS winter as I run Diesel Kleen in summer. Well after reading this my mind is made up. DAM IT. Cannot find FPPF here and we have 7 different Big rig shops. (meaning new rig dealers and repair) Looks like kennedy you have a new order for a mixed case for the guy in maine...... dam that alot of gallons of fuel for additive.... time to go get the stabil bottle i have looked at for two weeks........-:t

1 - 20 of 22 Posts