Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been cold here the last week or so...usually hovering around -20 before the windchill. The truck has been running good, up until this morning.

I was about half way to work, when the truck stopped making power above 60Km/hr. It sputtered a bit, but kept running. It seemed to smooth out a bit, and ran at about 80Km/hr, so I thought it may have cleared itself up. I got stopped at a red light, and the truck started to idle rough and surge. The tach was jumping around a bit, and the truck just generally started to run poor. The light changed, and I made it to a nearby garage...but the truck wasn't making much power by that point.

I got parked and let it idle. It sounded really bad...like a gasser does when it's not running on all cylinders. After about 30 or 40 seconds of this, the truck died. I cracked the bleed valve on top of the fuel filter, (which has about 5000Km's on it), and cranked the truck over. No fuel came out. I cranked a bit more, and still no fuel. I pulled the fuel filter, (it looks clean), and noticed that the filter bowl is less than half full of fuel. I know the filter displaces fuel so it can't be totally full...but there seems to be less in it compared to when I normally change my filters.

After getting towed home, I tried cranking it over again. I opened the bleed valve again, and cranked it over a few times. No fuel came out, but the truck started up and ran for about 30 seconds. It ran smoother than it did earlier...but there was still no fuel coming out of the bleed valve, and the truck died after about 30 seconds.

I had been having problems with my PMD, but I ordered Heath's unit and mounted that on the skid plate, and the truck has been running fine since, (about two weeks). I just filled the truck a few days ago, and only have 147Km on this tank of fuel. As stated earlier, it's been cold here recently, but today is a bit warmer, (-13 with a windchill of -21), and the truck ran good up until this morning. The fuel filter doesn't have many Km's on it, and "looks" clean, and I just checked the air filter the other day, and that still looks good too. I don't know about any codes, but I'm going to check in a few minutes. I also don't remember hearing the lift pump this morning, but that doesn't mean it wasn't working...just that I didn't pay attention to it. And my battery and ground connections are all clean and tight because I just did that on Saturday.

So...is it possible that my fuel has gelled on me with these temps? If my lift pump has died, wouldn't my pump pull the fuel and keep the truck running anyway? Or is that a sign that I also have a weak pump?

I'm hoping it's something "simple" like gelled fuel, but I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I checked the lift pump, and I can hear it and feel it running. The truck will start and run for about 30 or 40 seconds, but then stalls. It seems to be using the fuel in the filter bowl faster than it can be refilled from the tank.

I should have also said in the earlier post that I had a new fuel tank, sending unit and fuel lines put on the truck in August...so I'm not overly concerned about sediment plugging my lines or filter.

I added some antigel to the tank, but I can't get the truck running long enough to draw it through the lines.

Any ideas?

Jamie

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you have not been using anti-gel I guess it's possible you got fuel that was not treated. However in that cold of weather it's hard to imagine someone being able to pump untreated fuel out of the fuel pump unless you bought it somewhere else or when the weather was warmer.

You could take the fuel line off at the lift pump and see. I would suspect a bad fuel pump as a possibility.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a new fuel filter in the truck and tried to start it. I can still hear the lift pump running, and I get a small amount of fuel out of the bleeder valve, but it doesn't flow out like it always used to. I did manage to get the truck started though, and ran it for about 30 seconds before shutting if off. During that time, I cracked the water drain valve by the thermostats...and got no fuel flowing out at all.

So I can hear and feel the lift pump running. I now get a small amount of fuel coming out of the bleeder valve on top of the filter, (very low pressure), but no fuel at the water drain valve.

I really need to get this truck running, and would appreciate any advice that anyone can provide.

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Put some of the fuel in a container and see if it gels up in the cold temperature. If not check the fuel line for leaks and blockage and or change the lift pump.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the line for leaks, but how would I check for blockage? I can replace the lift pump, but they aren't cheap around here, and I can't really wait for the parts to come in from the states. Screwed either way I guess. I'm gettin tired of throwin parts at this truck lately. I think once she's up and running, she's sold.

Jamie

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Get a good friend to blow into the fuel line at the pump while you check on the other end.

Or try some compressed air. I would not put compressed air in the tank if it's new.

I supposed you did verify the fuel cap is working? No large vacuum building up?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, my fuel cap has been drilled out for a while, and I don't get any large amounts of vacuum at all.

I'm just curious as to why the symptoms seemed to get progressively worse this morning. The only thing I can come up with is that it was a gradual fuel starvation that led me to the point I'm at now.

Jamie

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
No fuel and a running lift pump can only be one or more of several things.

Tank pickup sucking air, low fuel, clogged, not at bottom of tank, fuel cap.

Fuel line leak. Anywhere in the fuel line.

Fuel filter manager restriction.

Low voltage to lift pump. Check with meter while it's running is the only way to tell.

Clogged line, filter or pump.

Weak pump.

Gelled fuel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help so far.

I just went out and started the truck up again. She fired, idled smooth, and didn't stall on me. I cracked the water drain valve and still have no fuel coming out there...but the truck didn't sputter or stall on me with that open.

So I took it for a ride around the block. It ran fine, even under heavy acceleration, until I hit 60Km/hr. Once I reached that speed, she began to bog down just she did this morning. I brought it back home...let it idle again, i(which it did smoothly)...and decided to take it for one more spin. Same thing happened...except that it stalled on me when I hit 60 this time. I pulled over, and after a few cranks, she started up again. I got it home and back in the driveway. While it was idling, I popped the hood 'cause I was gonna check the bleeder valve on the fuel filter. I noticed an excessive amount of smoke coming from the oil dipstick tube. Smoke was coming out past the dipstick itself. I pulled the dipstick out, and there was a steady stream of smoke coming out. That can't be good.

Would that be related to my problem? Or do I have several issues on the go now?

Jamie

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I don't see that being related to the lift pump issue.

Large amount of back pressure under heavy acceleration and boost could be bad CDR valve. Loads of back pressure at idle might not be explained by a bad CDR valve, but I would check it. Is the oil level OK or is it overfull?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
"drilled out fuel cap"

Sock in tank may be dirty and clogged as eluded to before....What is your location? If in a typical cold climate, fuel gelling is not really a common occurance.....distributors use anti-gel additives...

Sounds like you may have a weak LP as well....or drawing air.....how much fuel in the tank?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had cleaned my cdr valve last spring'ish, but I will certainly check it again. I just hadn't noticed that smoke coming from the dipstick tube before now...and I was under there a fair bit this morning...including when it first died this morning on my way to work.

My tank, sending unit, and rear-most fuel lines were all replaced in August. I've gone through a lot of fuel since then, but a clogging issue isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

I was thinking about the fuel gelling as well...and if it has gelled on me, it would be the first time in the 5 years that I've owned this truck. We get cold winters here in Nova Scotia, and I bought my recent tank of fuel, (still 3/4+ left), at one of the bigger fuel stops.

As stated before, the problem occurs when I hit 60Km/hr. Could be the lift pump is too weak to supply the demand I guess.

The fun never ends.

Jamie

·
Registered
378 Posts
OPS ? Jump the wires, to test it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One more update...

I just got back from a 20 minute ride in the truck. She ran perfectly.

I took it around the subdivision for a few turns, and it accelerated smoothly, and made power over 60Km/hr...so I decided to take it for a run on the highway. It accelerated smoothly, made good power and didn't bog down or sputter once, even when doing 100Km/hr.

The only things I did this morning, were to put a new fuel filter in, and to put some Valvoline Diesel antigel fluid in the tank. Beyond that, I just let it idle and took it for short drives. It also warmed up a few degrees since this morning...but those are the only things.

Is it fixed? I doubt it. I think more accurately...it's fixed for now. Could it have been some gelling? Or a blockage in the fuel line? Could it have been the filter?

I dunno...but I'll try it tomorrow when I go to work.

Thanks again to everyone that replied, it was greatly appreciated.

Jamie

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If there is no fuel coming out of the t-valve when it's running it's not fixed.

Could run fine but the low pressure is real bad for the IP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bad...I forgot to mention a fairly important item when I posted after my test run...

When I returned, and the truck was ideling in the driveway, I opened the bleeder valve on the fuel filter and got a good flow of fuel flowing out...like it normally does.

After supper, I went out and started the truck again and let it run for a few minutes. I opened the t-valve and had my "normal" amount of fuel flowing out of that again too.

I'm not sure what transpired, but I do have the usual amount of fuel flow at both the bleeder valve and the t-valve now. Hopefully this trend will continue.

Thanks for all the ideas, and once the weekend rolls around, I will crawl under and take a better look at connections and for leaks.

Jamie

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yep somebody got a load of untreated fuel.

It's possible. The place we get fuel from now had the supply truck wreck in an ice storm. They ran out of fuel and needed to get the fuel truck from us to run and get fuel. We had 1200 gallons in it. They had no idea what treatment we had in the fuel. Their normal procedure is to only add anti-gel to fuel orders of 10,000 gallons or more. So just about anything could happen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts