Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was hoping someone could give me some good info. Im going to be ordering a dmax crew cab with plans of lifting it mildly, like 4 or 5 inches with 33 or 34 inch tires. Im planing on having a six speed manual tranny, so I wasn't sure if 3.73 gears would be fine or 4.10's would be a better set up.I won't be towing much, but I want to have plenty of power if I do. Any ideas are welcome. Plus, any thoughts on a manual tranny instead of the allison?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The only rear ratio for the Duramax option is the 3.73 .... I believe the answer lies in your over all intended use of the vehicle ...

Mac

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I run 35's on my stock Dmax/ZF with no problems. My only complaint is a slightly reduced power towing my trailer, 5K but 8.5' high and wide. Nothing I can't live with. If I pulled in the mountains I'd be more concerned. You'd spend a lot more time in 5th.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
No regrets. I just plain wanted a stick. Learned how to drive in a '78 4x4 GMC with a SM465 and missed jamming gears since selling it in the early 90's. Once you add in the cost of the Allison it sealed the deal.

I got my H2's from a local Hummer dealer. Prices are roughly the same anywhere in the country. It's the freight that kills you. Someone did post H2's will NOT fit on a Rancho lift. They rub on the new spindles. I'm running green keys and turned up bars. If you want to run an actual lift kit make sure the wheels fit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Lifted Silverado, you PM'd me and I can't reply or send a new message. The message drops the 'o' in silverado. Maybe an administrator can check it out.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
His username is too long for PM.. i will work on that.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
ok the PM to him should work now.. sorry 'bout that!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lifted Silverado, I don't know much about the ZF, But I have a 6" Superlift with 315/75/16 BFG's, 3.73 gears, and the allison. IMHO, there really isn't a need for 4.10's, especially if you plan on a power adder. I have a Predator, and on the higher tunes, I can smoke the 315's at will
With the Predator (or other tuners like Quad), you will also be able to recalibrate your speedo and odo for the tire size change you are planning. These tuners have many other features, and will probably cost you less than a gear change
If you decide to go w/ a gear change, the Predator will allow you to recalibrate that also. Good Luck, DinoMax

·
Registered
46 Posts
No problem with 3.73's and 35" tires. Just get the Attitude. You can use the speedo display on it to adjust for tire size.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lifted Silverado, w/ my 315's & Predator set on the 125HP tune, I get between 15.3 and 16.1 mpg around town. Truck has 28K miles now, and I recently switched over to synthetic oil, which seemed to help a little bit. Before switching to synthetic, and with the older versions of the Predator, I was getting between 12 & 13 mpg. Not sure what it'll get these days w/out the extra HP, and I haven't been able to bring myself to program the 0 HP tune back in long enough to find out
I can tell you this, it is as good or better than my stock Z-71 gas burner was, and a whole lot faster, even w/ the 315's
DinoMax

1 - 13 of 13 Posts