Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 02 Chevy D/A 3500 4X4 and pull a 6 horse trailer with it. The truck has alot of power but it does not like to stay in 5th gear when it hits a small hill on the highway. I run around 70-75 mph to try and coast up the hills but sometimes the hill is too long and it has to shift to 4th to maintain 70 mph.
I feel that 4:10 gears would be able to stay in overdrive like my powerstroke i traded in had.
What would I need to do to adjust my speed gauge and would the allison shift correctly or would that need changed too. Also i want to install a exaust brake. What needs to be changed on the allison to run ok with that. And one last thing, can the dealer scan my truck for these adjustments or will it just void my warranty.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Before you change the gear why not add a power box. Some like the Juice box are simple plug in units and can be removed for those times you need to visit the dealer. Of course a EGT and a Boost gauge would be a good idea even without adding the box.

As for the brake there are a few guys out there with them so I'm sure someone will chime in about that.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
That's all you need, a minor power mod and it'll hold fifth.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Ditto ;;;;

The problem with the gear change is it stays with you when your not towing ,fuel econo will suffer ....

There are a few exhaust brake manufactures out and about ...

BD Power
Banks
PacBrake
`

Plus some reading material Exhaust Brakes

Mac Edited by: Mackin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts