Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My wife and I are going to be taking a long trip with our travel trailer this year, and I'm trying to make sure I have all my bases covered.

I just installed the A-pillar, triple gauge package and gutted my intake for better airflow. Now I have some goodies on order...ss diesel 4" exhaust, '97 cooling upgrades w/heavy duty fan and fan clutch, deep tranny pan and shift enhancer. I also have a heat sync for my PMD.

I'm also going to have the brakes done w/all new fluid, have new coolant put in, and have the transmission serviced when I add the new pan. I'm also going to replace the OPS and lift pump as maintenance items, (I've never done them in 4 years.)

We're going to be towing about 10K miles, and will be covering the mountains out west, and the temps of the southern states, (UT, AZ, NM, ect.), so I want to make sure the truck is going to have the easiest time POSSIBLE. The trailer is a 28' Airstream that weighs #5000 fully loaded, (I've had it weighed), so I'm not overloaded or anything like that.

I realize that an 11 year old truck will have something mechanically go wrong on this trip...but I'm trying to make it something small, if at all. Are there any other components I should look at? Or anything else I should go over/replace?

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
129 Posts
What about belt,hoses, and tires? Possibly want to change out the fluid in your rear end.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Retuned fan clutch, new thermostats, and debugging of the heat exchangers, rad-oil-trans-ac condenser. PMD remote mounted out of engine bay

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info so far...

The cooling upgrades include a new heavy duty fan and fan clutch, as well as the dual thermostats...so that should take care of that.

I also have new tires on the truck, and will be replacing the serpentine belt, as well as having the injectors cleaned/serviced.

Jamie

·
Registered
897 Posts
What about the condition of the turbo? Have you checked the play of the shaft in a while?

I also notice you have 4X4 how about a service of front axle and transfer case?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the turbo about a week ago when I doing the boost gauge...and all seemed fine in there. Everything still seemed nice and tight.

Having the 4x4 gear serviced is a good idea...I'll add that to my list!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
when you change the fan belt give the alternator a spin to see if then bearings sound rough

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would NOT get a Hayden FAN clutch for either Heath or SS Diesel. I did it , I also tried "retuning" a factory one on my own. I have had the best success with Kennedy's Fan Clutch and yes it's more bucks but the cut in on the Hayden only was like 5 degrees lower than the factory------SO what not worth it. Spend the extra $ and do it right. I went the self tweeked to see if it works and if it's a decent way to go. If you want a Hayden I'll sell it too you for half cost of new.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Don't forget the u-joints on the intermediate shaft going to the front axle. That shaft spins even when the 4x4 isn't engaged.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Don't forget the u-joints on the intermediate shaft going to the front axle. That shaft spins even when the 4x4 isn't engaged.

It spins?! is it suspose to? I always thought it wasn't suspose to spin if not in 4X4. Of course I never stuck my head under the door while going down the road to see for myself.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Might want to have the radiator cleaned by a radiator shop. You do have an auxillary trans cooler?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Of course I never stuck my head under the door while going down the road to see for myself.
SMART VERY SMART..... i wouldn't either

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I have an aux trans cooler, but having the rad cleaned by a shop sounds like a good idea too.

I was also going to take a look at my oil cooler lines, and see how they're making out.

This is what I'm looking for guys...a good thorough list. Thanks!

Jamie

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts