Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, I have a1995 suburban with an 8 lug 14 bolt semi float in it. (3.42 gears) I bought a 2000 14 bolt sf with 4.10 gears and G-80 with discs that I wanted to put in it but the axle tubes are rotted through and leaking. My question is can I take the whole carrier out of the 4.10 out of the axle and put it in my axle? I don’t know if they are the same.externally they look the say. Slines on axles etc. Please don’t suggest buying gears from Yukon etc. Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can a moderator move this to drivetrain? Maybe someone will respond there?

·
Administrator
20,777 Posts
Can a moderator move this to drivetrain? Maybe someone will respond there?
The drivetrain section is for the Duramax Generations.
Your questions can best be answered here (y)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Far as I know the ring, pinion, and carrier is the same. Main difference between older drum and early disc. Is in the axle length, spring perches and shock mounts. GMT400 vs GMT 800 frame.
But you cant just swap in the 4.10 ring gear and carrier. Without also swapping the matching 4.10 pinion gear, getting new crush sleeve and setting everything back up. Seems like a waste of time using old worn parts. If the R&P are still in good shape/ I would at least put in new pinion and side bearings.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am aware that the pinion needs to be swapped also, this truck is not a daily driver. I use it for hunting and l can’t justify spending big money on converting it to 4.10. I bought the front 4.10 fo 150 at a junkyard. I started looking at ring and pinions at summit, jegs etc. and they list different part numbers for a 95 14 bolt sf vs a 2000 . I am guessing they are different?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I really cant give you a answer you are looking for. 2000 was a change over year for GM they went from GMT400 to GMT 800. So who knows what axle is you have.. Without it sitting in front of me. Its impossible to tell.
The only internal difference that I can think about is the Pinion bearing size. I think they changed it in 97 or so. But the R&P should be the same. I'm pretty sure with the right pinion install kit you could make it work.
The best thing to do is call or email Randys Ring and pinion and talk to them about what you need to do the swap. They would also have all the right parts you need.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update in case any body else trys this. I successfully put the ring and pinio,locker from the 2000 14 bolt sf from the Gmt 800 truck into my 95 suburban axle. I used all the old bearings and seals. It, really put my sub with 285’s back where it likes to run. 19-2000 rpms at 55 miles per hour. I will do the front axle tomorrow. My speedometer is 10 mph offf, how do I correct this?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Glad it went together good. Thanks for the update. Below is a link to calibrate your spedo. As far as I know this is the only way to do it. The link below the main post (post #2) to TBI chips has more good info with ratio calculators and such and how to do it without DIP switch install.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad it went together good. Thanks for the update. Below is a link to calibrate your spedo. As far as I know this is the only way to do it.
I read that, above my paygrade! I am a60 year old ditch digger !I wonder if the Vss from the 2000 will work on my truck?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I dont think the newer Vssb will work in your truck. 2000 would be OBD2 and have ABS. It may use a different brodcast code. On the sticker there is a brodcast code. It will be 3 letters like PYT. underneath the brodcast code will be the part number. If the 2000 code and numbers match your DRAC, VSSB #s then it should work.
Unique Diesel maks custom DRACs. They are a site sponsor. Link below

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont think the newer Vssb will work in your truck. 2000 would be OBD2 and have ABS. It may use a different brodcast code. On the sticker there is a brodcast code. It will be 3 letters like PYT. underneath the brodcast code will be the part number. If the 2000 code and numbers match your DRAC, VSSB #s then it should work.
Unique Diesel maks custom DRACs. They are a site sponsor. Link below
Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Good luck this hunting season!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts