Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been shopping around for a new truck for the last several months. Last weekend I made a 4 hour trip (car dolly in tow) to go look at a 96 6.5 Burb with 130k on the clock. I learned the hard way that even the best pictures can't give you an accurate perception of a vehicle's condition.

To make a long story short, the vehicle was in extremely rough condition so I left it there and drove home empty handed (empty dolly, that is). Then, to make matters worse, when I checked oil in my old burb the next day it was down 1 to 1.5 quarts. I don't know how much time an engine has when its eats that much oil in 600 miles, but I'm guessing it can't be much. Its a shame, since its running and pulling better than it ever has. An engine rebuild/replacement is out of the question. She's just not worth that much, being 13 years old and the paint is that crappy GM stuff of the mid-90s. However, I hope to find someone who already has an engine or rebulid parts waiting to go in.

So, now I have a F250 6.0 cc sb sitting in my driveway (notice I left the 4-letter 'F' word out of the description), 60k on the clock, $17,500 will buy it. My bro-in-law is selling it, and has allowed me to take it for the weekend. I've car faxed it and oasis'd it, and all looks good. So far, I'm in love. I'll put several hundred miles on it today and tomorrow before I make my final decision, though I'm afraid my mind is already made up. I think sometime next week, my old Burb will be sitting in front of my house with a for-sale sign in the window, and this truck will take its place in the garage.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
:nono: well chap we will miss you on the 6.5 forum. :(

·
Registered
943 Posts
you can buy an awful lot of oil for 17,500

But best of luck with whatever you decide...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Seeing as you have decided you may have to part with it, have you tried an engine flush? My truck went to using a litre of oil in 300K. I found a site where someone recommended adding a litre of Marvel Mystery oil and running it for 4-5 hours, then changing the oil. I did this and my oil consumption went back up to a litre in 3000k...same as when I got the truck. I attributed the oil consumption to the brand of oil I was using. I switched to Shell Rotella and my engine has been good ever since. Been 3 years now.

Navek

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,193 Posts
Use Auto-RX, it is a slow process but it works. Check with BITOG.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Turbo or CDR are two causes of engine oil consumption !!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Keep the Burb, and spend the $17,500 on hookers. You'd be better off than throwing it on a Ford. :D

I'd think some before you can the Burb. Sounds to me like you want the Ford, and you are looking for reasons to sell. I 2nd the turbo and CDR for oil use.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If the truck is running good.........Why not just keep an eye on the oil level?
Sounds like you want the ford, but spending that kind of money versus dropping a quart of oil in every couple hundred miles........If your mind is made up, Good Luck........but I'm sure that truck has a lot more life in it than you think.

Louis

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Turbo or CDR are two causes of engine oil consumption !!!
Pulled the turbo and went through it, nothing wrong. Changed and cleaned the CDR. Even went so far as to pull the valve cover off that side to check and clean the steel wool CDR insert. Replaced the rocker keepers while i was in there. Nothing dripping on the ground, oil cooler lines clean, etc.... There's no place for the oil to be going other than out the exhaust. Never used anything other than Shell Rotella.

I might give the oil additives mentioned here a shot.

If the truck is running good.........Why not just keep an eye on the oil level?........but I'm sure that truck has a lot more life in it than you think.
I don't mind that its eating oil, and I don't mind keeping an eye on it. What bothers me is that my truck is only worth about $3000 or less as it sits (bad GM paint, needs tires, 230k), and if that engine goes kaputz it'll be worth a whole lot less. It's eating enough oil that oil changes were no longer necessary, and that scares me.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Give him a break,its possible to find a good F+*d, they all aren't bad, just like not all our LB7's haven't had injector issues.
I would however prefer a 7.3 over the 6.0, the 7.3 is every bit as good as ours.
Merle

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hope you find a good forum.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
GEP or NAVISTAR drop-in solution engines should cost less than $17 500?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
and then adding a new HP4 PCM from Bill should do great too....

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you really want the ford go for it. Who cares if its a ford. If you like it and it'll make you happy why not? You'll actually be able to pass people on the freeway now :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Is your truck lifted? If not any issues with 285's?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did just a slight amount of trimming for the 285s, but if you didn't know what you were looking for you wouldn't notice. They'll rub just a smidge if I hit a bump while at full turn, but not too bad and it doesn't happen very often.

The Ford is 4 years old, RhinoLined, new tires, etc.... I've learned that the EGR cooler and head gaskets are the trouble spots on this model.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts