Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an '04 GMC in March that I will be using for towing an RV. It's been suggested to me at RV.Net that I consider getting gauges like pyro, boost, trans temp, etc. Are these worthwhile for towing? Where would I look to purchase this sort of thing and who would install it? Should I be going back to the dealer, seeking something online with an install by a private guy, going to a place like Pep Boys, or what? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
You get a trans temp guage stock.

You dont really need gauges if your going to keep her stock. The juice/attitued combo is very nice and it comes with guages. Plus a little extra power. And running a low level you will be safe and probably get better milage. If your going to add a programer you should definatly use guages.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recognizing that I may not actually need the gauges for my situation, they could be useful under certain circumstances and they look really
. Just in case I decide to get some, I've been looking around on the web for pillar mounted gauges including kennedydiesel.com (thanks Steve). All I'm finding are black pillars that are suitable for painting. Is there anyone that makes/sells a pillar mount for 3 gauges that is already color matched to the interior of the truck (mine is the dark gray)?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm not sure that anyone pre-paints or not. I guess they might for a price. I really had no problem down at NAPA for paint. He looked it up, mixed up a pint, and it matched perfect. Got the paint, some kind of spray for plastic to prime it, and a little sprayer. A couple coats of primmer, put some paint in the sprayer, and a couple coats of paint. The sprayer had a little propellent can with it. Don't forget to paint the plastic pins that will hold the unit to the pillar.

Tip: I have found that the pins do not like to be removed and re-used alot. I would get some extra ones and paint them up at the same time so you have them for the future. (Changing a light bulb, etc.)

Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve—Yikes! If I tried to paint something, I've have paint all over the place. Besides that, I have trouble with light bulbs too unless it's just a table lamp! lol I'm good at some things, but never had an interest or talent for anything mechanical. If something breaks around the house, I pick up the phone. That's why I was also asking about ideas for installation in my original post. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Robert

·
Registered
161 Posts
In that case..........Any vendors out there want to sell a pre-painted 3 pod pillar mount?

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts